Community Forum

Internet but no cable

Highlighted
New Poster

Internet but no cable

I’m moving into an apartment tomorrow, and I’ve decided not to buy cable or have a landline. I bought Xfinity internet, but chose to buy my own modem and router. I confirmed that it will work with Xfinity.

So, my question is, what exactly do I connect the modem and router to? It’s wireless, so I don’t need to connect and Ethernet cable to my laptop. What would I connect the coaxial cable to?

Thanks
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Internet but no cable

If the apt. is cable ready, there should be either a coaxial cable wall outlet or a loose coax cable somewhere coming in from the outside. You would connect the modem to that.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Thank you!
Highlighted
Contributor

If the modem and router are separate, you can use a long ethernet cable to put the router were you use the computer most.  Also... a way good password, update the router firmware.

Highlighted
Expert

N.M.....

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!