Community Forum

Internet VERY slow and constantly dropping connection past 24 hrs on southern Maine

kbowley
Regular Visitor

Internet VERY slow and constantly dropping connection past 24 hrs on southern Maine

My internet has been erratic, slow, and constant brief disconnects.  And yes, I have rebooted, cables are good, and all the usual script the "customer service" reps keep you on the phone for an hour going through their scripted "troubleshooting" list.  Why can't we ever talk to a <Edited> tech?  Your network is messed up...tracerts fail, pings have crazy latency, streaming keeps stopping, stuttering, etc. speed tests are giving me 10 Mbps at best down and 1 Mbps up or times out.

EG
Expert

Re: Internet VERY slow and constantly dropping connection past 24 hrs on southern Maine

Start here;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Internet-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/3310447#M316652

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
kbowley
Regular Visitor

Re: Internet VERY slow and constantly dropping connection past 24 hrs on southern Maine

Thanks for the tip but already checked the SNR and its fine.  the log is full of "acquiring IP address" entries. It has improved this evening and I am streaming Netflix fine for the past hour as well as Hulu. I noticed I am over their data limit by 100 Gb...data usage reports 1.12 TB but that is incorrect.  I am consistently around 500-600 Gb per month and haven't done anything differently.  Personally, I think they do not like it when one cancels the TV service and switches to Amazon Fire TV and use Hulu for live tv. I was simply sick of paying 240 per month with 70 dollars in fees so I dropped everything except internet for 64.00 with fees plus 50 for Hulu live tv along with an endless library of movies and tv for free.  Anyway, I looked at a website that shows outages and problems broken down by providers and the greater Boston area is listed as having major issues for the past three days and as of 9 pm problems began dropping and as of 1 AM, the area is no longer flagged in red, just showing about 80 reported issues by end-users on that site.  Comcast claims "unlimited data" and you must look hard to find the disclosure regarding the 1 TB limit. I am going to call the FTC in the morning asking that they change their advertising to reflect the cap.

EG
Expert

O/k the speeds have nothing to do with the data limit. It is suspended due to COVID 19 anyway. Something else is going on. Good luck with it !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!