ableiman's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Thursday, June 25th, 2020 3:00 PM

Closed

Internet Drops Exactly 20 Times per Day, Everyday

Starting in April 2020 we went from having no internet problems to consistent daily short (30 seconds - 3 minutes) connection loss followed by modem rebooting. All devices lose connectivity including anything cabled to the Xfinity modem itself.

Techs have been out three times. Swapped Xfinity modems (now we have the white 6 Gateway). The techs changed all the cables and connectors. They checked connections up and down the street. They checked the upstream and downstream signals and confirmed they looked good.

Last guy was here for 2 hours and seemed really competent but he had no clue what might be causing this. He called the supervisor for Everett, WA who also didn't have ideas. At that point he said "good luck."

One interesting thing was that he could see that this issue was happening exaclty 20 times every single day. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

They locked my earlier thread on a similar subject but yes, my problem was solved.  My situation may not reflect yours, but the tech measured good downstream levels at the entrance to my house, but further checking showed that my cables inside the house were loosing something like 10dBm going from the cable entrance to where my Xfinity modem was located on the second floor.  That's why I was having trouble with low signal levels and frequent dropouts.  He fixed it by installing an amplifier near the cable entrance to beef up the signal levels by that same 10dBm in order to compensate for the loss in the house.

Before the fix on my system, I could actually see the very low downstream signal levels at my modem by logging in and checking the Xfinity connection menu selection in the modem.  If you do the same and do NOT see low downstream levels (-8 to -10 dBm or lower), then you must have some other problem that isn't the same as what mine was.  If you do see low levels like those, then ask for an amplifier to be installed (or you could get one and do it yourself if you know what you're doing).  Best of luck.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

@tsmccull 

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and walk me through your fix. It does sound like my issue is different but appreciate it all the same.

In my case, we do not see low downstream levels. The connection is consistently solid, except when it's not, and then it's a total outage for 1 - 5 minutes or so. 

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.  I do know how irritating those frequent dropouts can be.  In fact, I was reluctant to even try VOIP until I got my situation fixed since having phone calls drop out for minutes or hours (in my case) at a time would have made it impossible to use.

You indicated you're dropping 20 times per day.  Are those equally spaced 72 minutes apart, or is just the total number of dropouts 20 per day?

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Total number of dropouts is 20 but the timing is random! I do have 6 XFi Pods. Zero idea if they have anything to do with it but to be the modem reconnects so it's certainly not limited to them if so. 

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

4 years ago

Any chance there's something in your house that pulls the AC voltage down 20 times a day for a brief period and maybe the cable modem can't handle that without losing connectivity?  If you aren't using one, might try testing a UPS for a day.  Probably not the problem, but it's an easy experiment to try if you have one already.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Interesting! I'll try it and report back. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Would love to know if you find a solution! Having a very similar issue where our internet is dropping multiple times a day and the modem is often rebooting. Like you we have had 3 techs out to check all cables, but no fix yet. Incredibly frustrating that we went from no issues and have been dealing with this since the end of May.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

@BP801  - I'll keep you posted on any progress. Please do the same!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Ableiman- I'm also in the Seattle area and experiencing issues since April 2020. Also have had the techs come out and am on my 3rd modem. Have you found a solution? This has been so stressful. 

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Are those 20 daily drops around the same time every day? If so I am having a similar issue. Everyday at around 4pm EST my internet goes down repeatedly for around an hour. I also lose the TV (X1) most days, but not always. I do lose the internet connection every single day, like clockwork.

I appear to be getting an IPv6 DoS attack right before it happens, which I just noticed, so I haven't looked into that yet. I have had the firewall on and off with no change observed. I am going to try and have no IPv6 local devices today and see what happens. I only get an hour a day to try and figure it out before it magically rectifies itself.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

@Frazier500 - Interesting. They are not at the same time, pretty intermittent throughout the day although overwhelmingly during the work day Pacific Time. How would I check  to see if the modem/router was or is subject to a DDoS attack?  

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

4 years ago

@ableiman I would like to know if you still have this issue with you. I also experience similar issue since two weeks ago. It seems the downstram/upstram signal looks fine when it runs but there are many intenet drops a day. 

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

It depends on the model of your modem/router. I have the XB6 so  for me its under troubleshooting - firewall log. My time of day with this issue has moved from 4pm to 3pm EST for the last  3 days. Very weird issue. If it is a DoS or DDoS attack, I can't fathom why I would be a target.

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

4 years ago

I'm having the same issue. It's gotten worse since I worked from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom apartment within the same complex. My internet goes out 10x a day! I feel hopeless. I might need to switch providers if Xfinity doesn't fix the issue.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

We are having the same problem! Not sure how many times per day but its constant we’ve swapped our router too to the new xfinity one but no change.
Has been going on for2-3 months
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here