Community Forum

Intermittent wifi 2 months

Highlighted
New Poster

Intermittent wifi 2 months

I’ve had intermittent wifi issues going on 2 months. I noticed this happened after an outage in my area.

I’ve gone through 3 technicians, 5 supervisors, 50+ phone/chat agents, and no one can give me an answer. The current supervisor I talked to actually turned out to be a friend of mine’s neighbor and has scheduled to come out personally (I hope) to check out my setup.

I’ve had 2 of the 3 techs change fittings and use 2 separate voltmeters to check my line connection in my house. The lines are good, and actually Comcast installed these 2 years ago (though the 3rd tech claims my lines are bad and Comcast doesn’t install these lines, even though they were indeed installed and was charged for it). I even hired an electrician to check my lines and he confirms there are no issues with it.

I had my modem changed out 4 times with Comcast, one being the older black model, and then the others the grey xFi modem. I currently bought a motorolla modem/router combo to test if it’s a Comcast modem issue and to control my broadcasting channels, but still no fix.

I have made small progress with disabling the 2.4 GHz frequency. My phone, laptop, and WiFi tv box no longer experience issues that I notice, but I have a few home devices that need that frequency, and my main cable tv box still freezes and loses sound when I use streaming apps such as Amazon Prime.

Can anyone give me any advice to troubleshoot this further? I’m going on a loop with Comcast with absolutely no help at this point- though having this supervisor appt might be hopeful but I’ve lost trust in the system at this point and I have to work from home starting in August.
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Intermittent wifi 2 months

For a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

No the hardwired computer does not lose any connection at all.
Highlighted
New Poster

I have the same issue.  I'm on my 2nd replacement modem.  I have a bunch of equipment, including 2 wireless routers, wired in to the ethernet port on the modem and it's all intermittently slow now.  I've just added a wireless access point configured in client mode to avoid using the ethernet ports on the modem but it doesn't seem to have helped much.

Expert

.@Kitosaki

Some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/improve-your-wireless-home-network

There are other options. Google for WiFi repeaters / range extenders, WiFi mesh systems / pods, powerline ethernet adapters, MoCA adapters. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I had to rearrange furniture in my office, but I moved my router and my Corrected packets went down considerably. I’m hoping this may haves fixed it. Watching Amazon Prime for a test run. It always freezes on this so if it doesn’t this may have been it!