Community Forum

Intermittent connectivity issues

Highlighted
Contributor

Intermittent connectivity issues

I had Xfinity in CA for 5 years with zero problems. Moved to UT, upgraded to Gigabit (I had 250 in CA), and it has been nothing but problems.

I do a lot of video conferencing for work from my home office, and I frequently get dropped connections and "your connection is unstable" messages in Zoom where my screen freezes and people can't hear me. Sometimes I'll do a speed test right after this happens and I'm getting ~900 Mbps on my iMac that is connected via ethernet. Other times, like today, I'll get 25-30 Mbps. So it seems like the issue is intermittent and not always related to download/upload speed—or at least it drops out and reconnects fast enough that by the time I do a speed test it's okay again.

I have a desktop computer connected via ethernet. Our house is wired, so the XB6 gateway is connected to a switch, and my desktop is plugged into the ethernet port in the wall. I also have a laptop that is connected via wifi. I experience this problem on both the desktop and laptop / ethernet and wifi.

I've reset the modem, no effect. Xfinity technician came out, replaced the cables, checked connections, said everything looked fine. I have another visit scheduled for Sunday, but not much confidence that they'll be able to identify or fix the problem because it's intermittent. For example, just did a speed test and got 930 down and 40 up. Connection "seems" to be working fine, but inevitably, if I'm doing a video conference for 30 min or more, I'll get at least one (and often several) freezes/drop-outs. 

Any ideas for how I can further troubleshoot? Thanks.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Intermittent connectivity issues

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!