Community Forum

IOS connection reliability

Highlighted
New Poster

IOS connection reliability

HOW MANY TIMES DO PEOPLE NEED TO POST THIS SAME THING BEFORE COMCAST ACTUALLY TROUBLESHOOTS THE ROOT CAUSE INSTEAD OF TREATING THE SYMPTOM?

I could just copy and paste from someone else's post because I have the EXACT same issues. as numerous previous posts (Note: I do have pods on my network so can't separate channels).

XFi Router regularly drops signal for macbook, apple tv and iphone.  Android device fares better - signal is generally fine on Windows laptop.    

I have contacted Xfinity support numerous times via phone. They reset the signal, see that its working, and think the problem is solved. Sometimes it works for a week or so - then WiFi starts dropping again.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: IOS connection reliability

How many times? Should be anytime somebody has a problem? As much as you think your experience is exactly the same, it’s not. Different houses, different devices, different needs, different setups, different Wi-Fi needs, as much as you think “me too”, it isn’t. Are you sure it’s your Wi-Fi and not your modem? Post signals of your modem? Lots of variables to consider

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I never lose connection with my iOS devices, they are rock solid along with my Linux computers, I just got a Xb7 gateway and with my iPhone 8, I am pulling 600+ with WiFi, I am extremely satisfied 

Highlighted
Expert

@ChitownRon wrote:

XFi Router regularly drops signal for macbook, apple tv and iphone.  Android device fares better - signal is generally fine on Windows laptop.    

Sometimes it works for a week or so - then WiFi starts dropping again.

For a test, does a computer / device hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

With this test, we are trying to isolate this from being either a WiFi-only problem or a problem with the general connection to the Comcast system which would of course affect both. It's a good first step of troubleshooting before we proceed any further.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks for your response!  I'll have to figure out how to get this test done.  Will first have to figure out how to get kids' highschool Ipads hardwired. Then will have to run it for a while to see if recurs. (It doesn't happen "all the time"... just frequent like every 1-3 weeks.)    

Highlighted
New Poster

How would i post signals of modem? (Not sure what that means)

Highlighted
Contributor

@EG  - re your suggestion to connect with ethernet, how is this done with an iPhone or iPad? 
I have the same connectivity issues with my iOS devices but not with my PC on wifi. 
I also posted separately about my 6 pods dropping constantly, which is a contributing factor for losing connection, however, often the iPad or iPhone drops wifi even when all Xfinity gateway and pods are showing as fine. 
Thanks for your help. 

Highlighted
New Poster

IS "Xb7" a non-comcast router? I have the Comcast advanced gateway

Highlighted
New Poster

@CCAndrew I understand what you mean, but to me it would seem that when people with different house, different devices/setups all register the same issue, it would start to dilute the relevance of those variables.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

There are lightning to ethernet adapters.  I see quite a few on Amazon though I have no personal experience with them.

By the way, I have my own Netgear modem/router and I find that now and then my iPad (my only apple device) loses wi-fi connectivity. In my case, I can just swipe down from the top to reveal the control panel that lets me disconnect and then reconnect the wi-fi and then it's good again.  Since it only happens on the ipad I've always assumed it was an apple issue rather than a netgear issue, but, since I can get back on-line after 15 seconds or so of annoyance, I've never tried to debug it further.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@ChitownRon wrote:

IS "Xb7" a non-comcast router? I have the Comcast advanced gateway

I have one; it is a Comcast gateway:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/broadband-gateways-userguides

xFi Third Generation

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!