Community Forum

I need to change my IP address.

Highlighted
New Poster

I need to change my IP address.

Have to change my ip adress for security reasons but trying the "ipconfig/renew" command prompt method doesn't work.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: I need to change my IP address.

@shmrljo007 wrote:

Have to change my ip adress for security reasons but trying the "ipconfig/renew" command prompt method doesn't work.

Which IP address are you referring to?  The public address the Comcast network assigns to your modem/gateway?  The 'ipconfig/renew' option only 'renews' the existing address for another 24 hour period.  You might try the 'ipconfig/release' command to get a new address, however for a PC/laptop/device, that only changes the address on your local network, usually a private address.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Highlighted
New Poster

Yeah the public address

Highlighted
Problem Solver

You might look at https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Router-External-IP-Address-Port-Forwarding/m-p/32908...

That thread suggests powering down the modem and router for 1 minute, and powering up the modem first, fully synced, then the router.

Might not be your exact scenario though.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Highlighted
Expert

Powercycling the modem won't result in a change of the public IP address. Neither will performing an IP release / renew if one is using a router. That would only release and renew the LAN / private address...

OP. If you are using a router that has a MAC address cloning feature, try cloning a different MAC address in to it. This will force their DHCP server to issue a different public IP address to your connection. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I'm not sure where to do that though. theres no option on my gateway settings to clone the MAC address

Highlighted
Expert

The Comcast supplied gateway devices do not offer a MAC address cloning feature.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!