Community Forum

How to set up a Guest WiFi network on xFi Advanced Gateway

Highlighted
New Poster

How to set up a Guest WiFi network on xFi Advanced Gateway

I have an xFi Advanced Gateway.  Specifically I have as my Wireless Gateway the TG3482G model (Arris).

I have my Wifi network name called FooBar.   When guests come over, I don't want to give them FooBar's network password.   Nor do most of my guests have a Xfinity account per https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/help-guests-get-online so the hotspot option is not practical.   

Instead, I want to create a guest network called FooBar_Guest.    Possible?

I saw in a post from 7+ months ago that someone from Comcast said "We don't offer private guest network options for residential customers but we do have something like that for our Comcast Business class customers. "   

Is that still the case, as it applies to the xFi Advanced Gateway?

Thanks, TK00

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: How to set up a Guest WiFi network on xFi Advanced Gateway

If you’re using a Comcast gateway there is no guest network, just access to the hotspot. If it’s not feasible, put the gateway in bridge mode and use your own router that will allow you to create that guest network.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Expert

With  a Comcast supplied gateway device, the secondary network name / SSID (xfinitywifi) that is also broadcasted is intended to be used as a guest network.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@CCAndrew wrote:
If you’re using a Comcast gateway there is no guest network, just access to the hotspot. If it’s not feasible, put the gateway in bridge mode and use your own router that will allow you to create that guest network.

This, but also a third party router set up as a Wireless Access Point with AP isolation enabled will also work. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!