Community Forum

How do install a new 3rd party cable modem?

jewilson15
New Poster

How do install a new 3rd party cable modem?

I recently purchased my own new cable modem and am unable to perform the self install following these instructions:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activate-internet-gateway-modem

The online activation process also doesn't work for me.  The last time I did this, I needed to speak with a rep, but I can't seem to get to one through the automated phone line.

Help.

EG
Expert

Re: How do install a new 3rd party cable modem?

Give this automated device activation line a shot: 1-855-652-3446. Even if the automation fails, you then get connected to an advanced repair representative rather than a tier 1 phone rep. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
jewilson15
New Poster

I tried that. It does not work. All the automated person wants to do is reset my current modem.
jewilson15
New Poster

This is resolved.  I was finally able to get ahold of a rep, by selecting the "add services" option.  She quickly updated the MAC addresss on my account to account for the new modem and then I was all set.

EG
Expert

Glad you got it straightened out. Now closing this thread.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!