Community Forum

High Ping and packet loss

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: High Ping and packet loss

I've been having lag issues with games since very early February. Maybe it's true that some people's lag really is just from the extra people staying at home. It's probably not though.

Texas btw, wishing more than anything I can distract myself with the whole staying at home thing with a game of League that doesn't lag.

Highlighted
New Poster

Same issue here in Chicago (zipcode 60634). I have tried everything and talked to at least 5-6 Comcast employees. Two technicians came by and they said everything looks OK. The Customer Service has no clue half the time and simply follow a script / guide.

I am using my 4G tethering through USB to be able to play video games on my desktop. The lag and rubber-banding with Xfinity is beyond believe!

Highlighted
Contributor

Good idea on switching to your cell.  I did that for a bit yesterday-amazing that it was better than my wired cable internet connection.  Iracing is my main PC hobby-it's not that high on data use but a stable connection is really important.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Packet Loss During Afternoons-Evenings-Good performance in non peak hours

Also, got a response on my Washington state attorney general complaint.  It's going to the next steps for the informal consumer complaint process.   I will withdraw it if the issue is resolved of course but in the meantime, at least it's being reviewed.

Highlighted
Contributor

This morning was the worst performance in the am I have seen-not terrible but maybe its because I was slightly later than usual in my test.  Either way, still seeing large spikes.  I believe Comcast has techs still working on the issue as there is another service outage notice for tomorrow.  This morning and tonight's pings attached.

5-13-2020 7-08-28 AM.png
5-13-2020 7-35-00 PM.png
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Service seems relatively stable right now but Outages and Maintenance the last couple days continues. According to the status center, it'll be resolved at 9:33 AM this morning.

Highlighted
Contributor

well looks like they expanded the outage to 5pm PT so they must still be troubleshooting-my ping looks pretty rough right now.

TraceRT to Comcast has lots of timeouts but I assume that could be due to maintenance in progress.

5-14-2020 2-24-37 PM.png
Highlighted
New Poster

Well guys I gave up. Months of awful spikes with no real acknowledgement or solution from comcast. I signed up with the company that took over Frontiers fiber and my comcast internet is ending this month. Good luck to you all. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@Gorgon12345 Don't blame you. I'd go to Ziply in a heartbeat if it was available in my area. With any luck, they'll expand their service territory and I can finally drop Comcast.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I have not done as exhaustive a test of my setup, but it sure sounds like I am facing similar issues. When I run Speedtest, I get the following:
Local (Seattle) servers: ping = 8, DL = 85 Mbps, UL = 6 Mbps (typical and expected results)
Comcast (Richmond, VA): ping = 85, DL = 26, UL = 6
Moscow, Russia: ping = 200, DL = 15, UL = 6 (I tutor online with Russian students)

The only numbers way out of whack are the download numbers. Until roughly mid-March, all speedtest results were very close.
I also ran traceroute and ping, and cannot find anything to explain this. After 200 iterations to a Russian server, no packet loss.
Now here is where I need technical advice: I have rebooted using the cable modem's config page, rebooted from the XFinity website and ran speedtest when the modem is freshly turned on. None made a difference.
Today, a tech over there at Xfinity did what she called "provisioning", which completely fixed the issue UNTIL she hung up. THen, it was back to where it had been.
What is provisioning? How can I do it myself?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Provisioning is basically activating and registering your modem with Xfinity. You usually do it when you need to switch out your cable modem, like getting a new modem, by providing the new modem's product info and MAC ID so the Xfinity system has that info. If she "provisioned" your modem while on the call (which probably means she removed and added your modem on her end) I would think it's the same as resetting your modem. The short improvement that you have experienced may have been coincidental. As far as provisioning yourself, I know there's www.xfinity.com/activate link where you can register your own modem but I haven't tried that.

Highlighted
Expert

You wrote: "I would think it's the same as resetting your modem." FWIW, no. It's not. Resetting does not change / re-enter the backend account data in their database. That has to be entered manually by a rep.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@EG wrote:
FWIW, no. It's not. Resetting does not change / re-enter the backend account data in their database. That has to be entered manually by a rep.

Then the only fix is getting a call-back from a rep?
If so, then how can I understand why the DL speeds are so poor?
Finally, are the DL speeds I get related to the OP's issues with high ping and packet loss?

Highlighted
New Poster

Have the same issue since 10pm last night. about 13-18% packet loss and the support doesn't acknowledge the issue. 
I can ping my local server perfectly fine, internal plex/emby works fine, but they're not acknowledging this and are now sending a technician.

I don't think a local wire issue would cause a sudden drop of quality of that nature.

https://ibb.co/JCXMtPn

How does one get comcast to check their lines? 

Highlighted
Contributor

Last week's area maintenance seems to have improved my signal at least a bit.  Mornings remain really good-with generally low latency but over the weekend, afternoon/early evening was also improved-even if not perfect.  I didn't notice too much video buffering and latency lag was improved a bit in iracing.  I did get errors on my modem early this morning though-timeout at 1am PT and some uncorrectables which I haven't seen during all of my issues.  strange but signal is working fine right now. attached this morning's ping plot and the modem status

5-18-2020 6-37-40 AM Modem Status.png
5-18-2020 6-45-55 AM.png
Highlighted
Contributor

Usually Monday performance-although better than last week at least.  Website is still reporting an outage in our area so I keep hoping to get a stable signal at some point.

5-18-2020 4-02-54 PM.png
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

FYI To All -

I had filed a complaint through PURA (Public Utilities Regulatory Authority) here in my state. I received a call the following day from a very nice lady at Comcast. She told me they were going to be getting node work/performance improvements in my area starting this week. Granted, I talked to her almost 2 weeks ago it was still nice to see a speedy response from someone and potentially a fix on the way.

Will see what happens but I would complain to some authority in your state.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:
FWIW, no. It's not. Resetting does not change / re-enter the backend account data in their database. That has to be entered manually by a rep.

I was talking the effect of them, not the process involved. As far as the customer is concerned provisioning an existing info with the same data assuming no hardware change has happened should have the same effect as resetting the modem. Provisioning an existing modem with the same modem will not magically fix the issues that we're having.

Highlighted
Expert

@dougeefresh wrote:
I was talking the effect of them, not the process involved.

So am I.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

You didn't mention any different effects of provisioning vs. resetting in your statement. You merely stated what gets done during provisioning (i.e. manually entering account data). So, what can re-provisioning a modem fix that resettng a modem can't? Other than fixing obvious errors of incorrectly provisioned modem?

Whether you re-provisioned the same modem with the same data or just do a reset, you will end up with the same problem if the problem doesn't stem from the user/user's environment hence the same effect. I did several modem reset (soft & hard) AND modem re-provisioning using different cable modems just to rule out defective hardware. Nothing helped.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@trackrat2 Any update from Washington State AG? I am thinking of doing the same as I don't foresee any resolutions happening soon. Also, when you filed did you attached any files? Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Expert

I'm not going to split hairs with you here bud.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@EG just stating the facts bud

Highlighted
New Poster

I am currently in Miami and honestly I've had this issue for months now. It does it for most games I try to play other then maybe one. Probably not as consistent but it will start stable then I just get spikes my entire session on. They tell me well the connection looks fine but clearly it's not if I'm experiencing this. Tried three different modems and even on different PC's it does it. Such a waste of money for gigabit service that isn't even stable. Still debating on switching as now I can actually switch...

Highlighted
Contributor

I did hear back from the AG and they said my case qualified for consumer resolution.  I did provide multiple files showing the am signal versus the pm packet loss. 

Since then, I have been playing phone tag with the Executive escalation customer service rep.  No resolution yet.  A tech came by house on 5/14 and checked the line-apparently the signal was within "spec" according to the email I received.   Over the weekend, my internet experience was slightly better. 

Monday was terrible but there  were multiple outage notices earlier in the week and service vans have been in the area.  Outage notice was pulled but I am still seeing the same performance.  Not very good tonight-was pretty decent this morning again.... 

I think having more people file data driven complaints may help.  I hope to connect with the rep tomorrow.

5-20-2020 8-07-13 PM.png
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@trackrat2 Would you post the link that you used to get the process started? I'd like to register a similar complaint. Is it https://fortress.wa.gov/atg/formhandler/ago/ComplaintForm.aspx? Judging from your maintenance and outage windows for the past 3 weeks, we're likely in the exact same area/neighborhood because it's been the same for me.

I have a technician coming out (again) on Friday. Like last time, I'm sure they will just claim my signal is strong and within spec, even though I get multiple T3 timeout errors every day and traceroutes that have periods of 20-30% packet loss on the upstream signal.

google.com-3.png
Highlighted
Contributor

Yes-that is the same form.  I suspect that the issue is outside my neighborhood.  starts at the 2nd hop but still loss/latency increases through the Oregon servers too.  Once again, perfect internet this morning.  so, yes, my signal (your signal) probably is in "spec".  The issue points to traffic congestion.  It would just be helpful to know if/what Comcast is actually going to do about it.

5-21-2020 6-13-05 AM.png
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

As far as I'm aware, the 2nd hop is the first time it hits Comcast's network though, so pinging out from a computer, the first hop is your networking equipment, then to the street. If you experience 20% packet loss between the first and second hop like I do, then something is very wrong imo.

Getting T3 and T4 timeouts multiple times per day is not symptomatic of a strong, stable connection, I don't care what anybody says. I'll post back what the technician says when they're out tomorrow.

Highlighted
Contributor

Well, got an update from customer service today.  Due to all of the new customers ( due to all of the construction in the area) yes, the node in my area is overloaded.  Comcast has applied for a permit to address it but no firm ETA.  I did get a credit for this month which is at least fair given the situation.  She said she would keep me posted on the next steps in the resolution.

Highlighted
Contributor

Karl, I should also add that I am not getting that many timeouts on my modem.  Only when techs had been working on the system.

sounds like you may have something else going on that is slightly different than my situation.    Are you seeing a good signal in off peak hours or do you have issues all day?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@trackrat2 I see good signals and great latency with low jitter in the mornings, and then it degrades and gets unmanageable from about 3-4pm until midnight.

I get about 2-3 T3 timeouts per day, so it's not like its constant. I tried temporarily upgrading to the 1 gig plan so the upload speeds would be better, but it hasn't changed much. Really points to noise or congestion on the line. It also just kind of comes out of nowhere sometimes. Tonight, I'm about 3-4% packet loss (which with the high jitter still makes gaming or VOIP conversations nearly impossible), but then it'll shoot up to 20% out of nowhere for several minutes.

Hopefully I can get the tech tomorrow to see the issue so the Grey Hawk can fly again.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I’m having all the same issues in Miami. Been a problem for awhile now. I had a notice that maintenance would be done in my neighborhood but no idea if it’s related to my issue. A tech came out and said the node of the area was experiencing extreme noise.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@trackrat2 Tech came by today and basically said the same thing to me. He confirmed he's spoken to multiple people in my area as well, and indicated that Comcast was aware back in January that the node was approaching capacity and filed permits for construction on a new node.  COVID has not only made the issue worse, it also delayed starting that construction. He said currently this node is by far the worst in all of SW Washington.

The outages in the area last week were them trying to add a 5th channel to the line as a temporary band-aid to the situation, but some of the equipment had issues with it, so they had to roll it back and replace a lot of it. He said next week they are scheduled to turn on the 5th channel again, which should add some relief while they work toward getting the permits with the City of Vancouver on the new node.