Community Forum

High Ping and packet loss

Highlighted
Contributor

High Ping and packet loss

Hoping for some help as I have been unable to get any help from Xfinity recently-chat/bot only wants to reset gateway which doesn't solve my issue.  Have been on hold several times but unable to get through to a tech.

currently on 175MPS plan.  Have a new Arris SB6183 with a Asus AX-88u router.  Wired connection to gaming PC-have tried both direct from modem and from router-still have high PL %-spikes of 30% wtih either connection.  no splitter instead the house wiring-have swapped the cat 5e cable-no difference.

have had the issue with high packet loss the last couple of months.  had a tech come out and he did find a signal loss-replaced a connection outside the home.  internet was better for a few days but now back to high ping, etc.  

Have ran ping plotter to gaming server, google, and direct to modem.  Modem plot is fine.  showing PL loss from 2nd hop to final hop for google, iracing.com servers and twitter.  Latency has large spreads.  Have tried different PC with similar results.

Here's the modem report:

operation of the cable modem.

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel   Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK  
Security Enabled BPI+
DOCSIS Network Access Enabled Allowed  

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Corrected Uncorrectables
1 Locked QAM256 9 513000000 Hz 0.5 dBmV 39.5 dB 0 0
2 Locked QAM256 1 459000000 Hz -1.1 dBmV 39.3 dB 0 0
3 Locked QAM256 2 465000000 Hz -0.8 dBmV 39.3 dB 0 0
4 Locked QAM256 3 471000000 Hz -0.4 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0
5 Locked QAM256 4 477000000 Hz -0.3 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0
6 Locked QAM256 5 483000000 Hz -0.3 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0
7 Locked QAM256 6 489000000 Hz -0.1 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0
8 Locked QAM256 7 495000000 Hz 0.0 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0
9 Locked QAM256 8 507000000 Hz 0.4 dBmV 38.9 dB 0 0
10 Locked QAM256 10 519000000 Hz 0.6 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0
11 Locked QAM256 11 525000000 Hz 0.5 dBmV 39.5 dB 0 0
12 Locked QAM256 12 531000000 Hz 0.6 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0
13 Locked QAM256 13 537000000 Hz 0.7 dBmV 39.3 dB 0 0
14 Locked QAM256 14 543000000 Hz 0.9 dBmV 39.5 dB 0 0
15 Locked QAM256 15 549000000 Hz 0.9 dBmV 39.5 dB 0 0
16 Locked QAM256 16 555000000 Hz 0.9 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Locked ATDMA 4 5120 Ksym/sec 16200000 Hz 42.5 dBmV
2 Locked ATDMA 1 5120 Ksym/sec 35700000 Hz 42.5 dBmV
3 Locked ATDMA 2 5120 Ksym/sec 29200000 Hz 42.5 dBmV
4 Locked ATDMA 3 5120 Ksym/sec 22700000 Hz 42.5 dBmV

Current System Time: Sat Mar 28 16:12:49 2020

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: High Ping and packet loss

Still having issues.  Large spikes in latency and high packet loss to a variety of Comcast servers, google and iracing gaming servers.  Used pingplotter and traceroutes to show Comcast who private messaged me on Twitter.  However they always say to check Xfinity speed test for ping-which I believe is the best case scenario.

not sure where to go from here.  I have worked through all of the troubleshooting guides I can find including cleaning up my PC but my signal is still extremely unreliable during peak hours.  For a 300mbs plan through a direct Ethernet cable I expect better than this.

Early Morning seems to my best signal.  Too much signal loss the rest of the day for me.

the solution from the Comcast remote techs is always to reboot which doesn't help.

anyone have any other ideas?

Highlighted
Contributor

Here's a bit more data.  I included an am ping plot and an afternoon one below.

Hoping someone can help me determine a path forward.

The morning plots are consistently better and my connection is much more stable.  The afternoon plot is from a few days ago but this is typical of my experience this week.  Iracing is almost impossible due to dropped laps and quality with server-have been in contact with their support but it seems to me that the problem is on route.

The fact that the signal is always better earlier in the day leads me to a few conclusions-router, modem, signal are generally working at least at times.  Since rebooting the modem/cycling the router in the afternoon doesn't solve issue, its likely bandwidth or signal quality related?  its not overuse in the home-typically we turn off wifi devices when not in use-I do have QOS enabled on the router to prioritize the LAN connection (not sure if that really does much).  no kids watch movies during these tests and PC use

3.28.2020 4 pm Ping Plot.png4-4-2020 7-17-54 AM Ping Plot.png

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I'm litterally having the same problem. I'm hardwired yet within the last month have been bombarded with garbage connectivity. One 5 minute game of rocket league is unplayable half the time. A game of cod is unplayable. Litterally everything I do or play recently is unbearable. I've attempted every fix I have found. My latency to my router when pinged is perfect but outbound connection is abysmal. I never really noticed this prior to covid and I'm starting to think comcast is hiding something. Why is this happening to so many people at the same time. The community forum is flooded with people that are experiencing the same problems.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Just chiming in to say I'm having a similar issue in New Mexico. Been seeing this behavior for about a month now - significant latency and jitter at my first hop after my personal firewall. Like others, this has made voice, video and gaming applications unusable for several hours each night.

first hopfirst hop

Highlighted
Contributor

Packet Loss During Afternoons-Evenings-Good performance in non peak hours

I believe the issue I am having is bandwidth related but so far, have been unable to get any help from Comcast.  I have worked all troubleshooting guides.  I did add an attentuator which boosted the upload modem power (was originally only 37 which the Comcast twitter rep said was low.  Its now maybe a little high at 47 but within model specs (SB6183). My PL trends have been the same regardless.  Decent latency and very little PL in the morning.  Increased latency and many drops in the afternoons-evenings.  I have been tracking this for many days-twice a day for several weeks now.  Looking for advice on how to escalate to Comcast and hopefully get to a solution.  See modem status and ping plot examples below.  Open to other feedback and would appreciate your help

The statuses listed show the connection state of the cable modem. They are used by your service provider to evaluate the operation of the cable modem.

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel   Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK  
Security Enabled BPI+
DOCSIS Network Access Enabled Allowed  

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Corrected Uncorrectables
1 Locked QAM256 9 513000000 Hz -3.4 dBmV 39.8 dB 0 0
2 Locked QAM256 1 459000000 Hz -5.2 dBmV 39.6 dB 0 0
3 Locked QAM256 2 465000000 Hz -4.8 dBmV 39.6 dB 0 0
4 Locked QAM256 3 471000000 Hz -4.4 dBmV 39.7 dB 0 0
5 Locked QAM256 4 477000000 Hz -4.2 dBmV 39.7 dB 0 0
6 Locked QAM256 5 483000000 Hz -4.2 dBmV 39.8 dB 0 0
7 Locked QAM256 6 489000000 Hz -4.1 dBmV 39.8 dB 0 0
8 Locked QAM256 7 495000000 Hz -3.9 dBmV 39.8 dB 0 0
9 Locked QAM256 8 507000000 Hz -3.6 dBmV 39.2 dB 0 0
10 Locked QAM256 10 519000000 Hz -3.5 dBmV 39.7 dB 0 0
11 Locked QAM256 11 525000000 Hz -3.5 dBmV 39.7 dB 0 0
12 Locked QAM256 12 531000000 Hz -3.5 dBmV 39.7 dB 0 0
13 Locked QAM256 13 537000000 Hz -3.3 dBmV 39.7 dB 0 0
14 Locked QAM256 14 543000000 Hz -3.0 dBmV 39.7 dB 0 0
15 Locked QAM256 15 549000000 Hz -3.0 dBmV 39.7 dB 0 0
16 Locked QAM256 16 555000000 Hz -3.1 dBmV 39.7 dB 0 0

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Locked ATDMA 4 5120 Ksym/sec 16200000 Hz 47.0 dBmV
2 Locked ATDMA 1 5120 Ksym/sec 35700000 Hz 47.0 dBmV
3 Locked ATDMA 2 5120 Ksym/sec 29200000 Hz 47.0 dBmV
4 Locked ATDMA 3 5120 Ksym/sec 22700000 Hz 47.0 dBmV

Current System Time: Fri Apr 17 04:44:31 2020

4-17-2020 6-22-37 AM Ping Plot.png4-16-2020 8pm.png

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Packet Loss During Afternoons-Evenings-Good performance in non peak hours

Highlighted
New Poster

This is exactly the same issue I'm having.  Cannot play any games on PS4.

Highlighted
Contributor

Sorry to hear others are having the same issue.  Yesterday am was a decent signal until about 10am PT-  high latency and packet loss again in the late afternoon when I tried to get some online practice in.   Almost impossible to drive even on the new West Coast server Iracing has added.  The issue isn't on their end.

any suggestion to get Comcast to acknowledge and provide support to help solve this?  Since it's likely infrastructure related ( lack of capability to handle peak load) I don't need a tech to come to my house.  Just need Comcast to check the system.  The outage map says everything is fine but clearly not the case.

Highlighted
Contributor

Here's this morning-much better performance so far.  We will see how long that lasts....

4-19-2020 8-04-28 AM.png
Highlighted
Contributor

So yesterday, signal was pretty good until around Noon ish.  today, high packet loss again.   Will call Xfinity again and see if I can get anywhere- open to suggestions.   seems like we as consumers need to build a collective case to get some better support as there appear to many folks on here with a similar issue.  

4-20-2020 4-33-31 PM.png
Highlighted
Contributor

I did reboot my modem out of desperation tonight since the signal was even worse than yesterday evening.

I got this error for the first time on the log.  anyone know what that means?

Mon Apr 20 14:30:20 2020 Warning (5) Unicast DSID PSN startup error
Highlighted
New Poster

I have been having same issues with packet loss and lag since mid-march. Convinced now that its not my harware and is in fact an issue on the comcast side. Hoping for them to provide some answers!

Highlighted
Contributor

Agreed-the data I have points to Comcast overload, not my hardware. I ran a few hours of pretty good performance early am of each weekend day. Cheers to 6-10am internet usage. Glad I am an early morning person. My conference video calls and Iracing habit are sketchy the rest of the day. Seems like I should only pay a percent of my bill come May. Maybe subtract average packet loss from hours of peak hours of use to determine what service to pay for??? I am okay paying in full for the hours I have a decent signal.
Highlighted
Contributor

Agreed-the data I have points to Comcast overload, not my hardware. I ran a few hours of pretty good performance early am of each weekend day. Cheers to 6-10am internet usage. Glad I am an early morning person. My conference video calls and Iracing habit are sketchy the rest of the day. Seems like I should only pay a percent of my bill come May. Maybe subtract average packet loss from hours of peak hours of use to determine what service to pay for??? I am okay paying in full for the hours I have a decent signal.
Highlighted
Contributor

More data.  Here's a comparison of a tracert last night and one this morning.  Internet working pretty well at 6am as usual.  Also a ping plot for what it is worth.  Thinking that I will at least use these post to update my daily results.  Not sure its doing me any good but maybe eventually I can get some help from Comcast here.

Highlighted
Contributor

TraceRt comparison

4-20-2020 Tracert to Comcast.net.png
Highlighted
Contributor

First attachment didn't show both-this one shows last night and this morning

trackrat2_0-1587477116798.png

Highlighted
Contributor

So Comcast is doing maintenance in my area on Thursday-hoping that means they have identified a problem or at least are doing a local system check.  In the meantime, here's my usual evening check-in.  Internet was pretty good this morning.  Here's the latest tracert-not so good this afternoon but no surprise-this happens every day.....

4-21-2020 Trace to Comcast.net 6-42-30 PM.png
Highlighted
Contributor

And for everyone's amusement-here's tonight's ping plot-so much for trying to do much online... again even a little worse than the usual.  especially when compared to 6am.

4-21-2020 6-48-37 PM.png
Highlighted
Contributor

for reference, here was this morning, 4/21.

4-21-2020 6-43-25 AM.png
Highlighted
Contributor

I was on Twitter help chat yesterday.  Confirmed maintenance in my area tomorrow.  However, he told me that they thought they had the issue already corrected and were just sending the tech to validate.  However, still looks like an issue this afternoon.  Had lots of drops on web ex at work and just ran the ping plot attached here.

4-22-2020 4-00-43 PM.png
Highlighted
New Poster

I'm having the same issue in Greater Chicago area for 2 weeks already.

Called COMCAST number of times, all they know - "restart the modem".

It looks they are having capacity issue due to the fact that a lot of folks are working from home now.
They did maintenance in my area, but it did not help.

Highlighted
Contributor

Well, internet was better today-post "maintenance".  Still too many drops though in the afternoon.  Morning was pretty good.  TraceRT was better but still huge variances on some of the servers.

4-23-2020 8-33-51 PM.png
4-23-2020 Comcast Tracert 4-35-19 PM.png
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

An IT Tech at my employer believes the issue is that comcast has sold more internet service than they can handle. Similar to overbooked flights, some customers will be out of luck. Instead of getting bumped from the flight, we all receive horrible service. I contacted my local cable commission and reported the issue. There has to be some control in place to prevent comcast from "overbooking" their network capacity. Until that occurs, they will happily sell more and more services without regard to the negative impact on their customers.

Highlighted
Contributor

Comcast issued a statement that the network has been handling the traffic but yes, I tend to agree with you that the pipe must not be large enough for the traffic.  So Portland/Vancouver area, we had recent maintenance last Thursday.  Performance has been better but still too many high spikes of packet loss during peak hours.  Attached a few more recent plots for what it's worth-time to put another ticket in.

4-26-2020 11-14-02 AM.png
4-27-2020 7-21-16 PM.png
Highlighted
Contributor

Reached out to Twitter help again-no resolution yet to the afternoon/evening (peak hours) issues.  I am not expecting immediate resolution but hoping that Comcast is looking to expand their capacity.  Unfortunately the only "choice" we have in this area is Comcast or Centurylink DSL.  However, I am continuing to collect data and will continue to post in case this helps get a reaction/resolution from our provider.   If nothing else, I think I should get credit on my bill for the PL drops I am seeing.

This morning's results-not bad.   Would be happier if I could get this performance 24 hours a day....

4-29-2020 7-59-37 AM.png
Highlighted
Contributor

Pretty rough performance again this afternoon and tonight-had lots of issues with my work Web Ex calls again.  Here's the ping plot from tonight-seeing PL at the first hop though which is very unusual.  It would indicate an inside the network issue, I think but since the system works fine every morning, I think it could indicate noise in the signal to the house?....not sure.  Modem stats continue to be fine-no change from the earlier screen shots.

4-29-2020 8-03-15 PM.png
Highlighted
New Poster

I am having the exact same problem for the last month to two months. Called several times and had a technician out, no resolution yet. I am  canceling this week without some kind of solution. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't have a better option so hoping Comcast will work towards a resolution.  I did hear back in my Twitter inquiry.  Apparently they are still doing mainatnence this week in my area.  Hopefully that is accurate but at least they did acknowledge that there is still an issue.

Highlighted
Contributor

Pattern continues-lots of PL and drops today again.

5-1-2020 4-52-37 PM.png
Highlighted
Contributor

Another afternoon of rough internet.  Typical performance and no resolution yet.  Attached modem specs again-no real change.  I am still thinking that it is outside my system since 5am to 9am PT (sometimes later depending on the day) doesn't have any loss.  

5-4-2020 Modem Specs.png
5-4-2020 1-18-09 PM.png
Highlighted
Contributor

The longer I let ping plot run, the worse it gets....frustrating.

5-4-2020 1-25-24 PM.png
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Same issue here along the shoreline in CT. I’ve been having this infuriating issue since March. Called Comcast and had a tech come out who did nothing. Ran his diagnostic and said all look good, but told him otherwise.

I created a quick script that parsed my ping’s time. Out of 767 entries, 460 were greater than 100ms when pinging google.com.

How do we get help from Comcast? They truly need to get into contact with us folks. I’ve done everything possible on my end.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

This is most definitely Comcast infrastructure/service related. Too many people having exactly the same issues. As others I've done everything that I can from talking to reps and doing what they told me to try to trying different hardware (router, modem). I also had a tech come out and check the line but I am not sure if they actually check for ping, latency and packet drop or just check signal strength and noise. Also, it's VERY possible that the tech came out and tested the line when the service condition was good.

Download speed (files, streaming videos and even speedtest) is mostly fine because you wouldn't notice small drops here because of buffer but apps that require continuous and instantaneous data download/upload (online meetings, gaming, video chats) will display significant issues.

By the way, Comcast did the service maintenance in my area a couple of weeks go but nothing has changed since then so don't get your hopes up although do report back if it improves anything.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Jumping in to add the list of people with terrible packet loss/ping during work hours without issues during off peak hours.  It's particularly bad around 3-5PM. I'm in NorCal with 1000Mbps plan and am unable to game at all. Even loading websites takes forever. 

This is on a wired connection.

Annotation 2020-05-05 162709.png

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Just wanna say, you're doing gods work here. I live in Vancouver, WA and get the same issues. Last week's maintenance in my neighborhood made it a little more manageable, but I still frequently get periods like this https://imgur.com/a/9cxLOWF that make it nearly impossible to attend a video conference during the day or game at night.

I can't recall how many times I've been on chat or phone about the issue, but it's starting to get real, real old.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I filed a complaint with our local cable commission. That prompted a response from a corporate comcast representative:

I understand your frustration when service slows down due to capacity issues.  Our residential services are built for entertainment purposes and as most Americans, Comcast was not expecting a large population to start working from home.  As you are aware, we all are in uncharted territory with this National healthcare issue.  We are working towards a resolution to this issue.  Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Thank you for your time,

Linda L. | Work: (888) 966-7794, Ext. 3025514

Case Manager, Executive Customer Relations

Monday – Friday | 12:00 PM – 8:00 PM MST
Comcast - West Division | 
˜˜˜˜˜˜˜

In other words, until the virus situation is resolved, we're all going to have poor service. Yet comcast continues to market and sell more and more services that require access to an already overloaded system. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@splurce - Thanks for forwarding that to us. I've been checking this thread frequently. 

At this point, it does not seem like anything is going to get resolved. Yet, like you mentioned, more and more users seem to be added to an infrastructure that really doesn't seem to be able to handle the load. I understand, it's a rough time for familes and professionals alike. But, we are paying customers. I don't know..

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for posting.  That is more or less the response I have received on my complaints, posts, etc. on Twitter and other chats.

agree we are paying customers and should have a stable connection at least....If I am going to get roughly 15% Packet loss or so, my bill should be adjusted accordingly or Comcast should take my/our "investment" and make the needed enhancements to Handle the traffic.  Top Speed isn't as important as stability and reasonable latency. 

I expect internet traffic will stay in high demand as companies/schools are changing their approach to work from home, learn from home, etc..  Need a solution for the long term. Comcast is fooling themselves if they think the bandwidth saturation and demand is going to drastically drop off.

Highlighted
Contributor

I went ahead and filed a complaint with the Washington State Attorney General as well.  Since I am not getting any meanful/helpful response from Comcast.  Will continue to document -encourage others to do the same.  Once again, early am, internet works great-

5-7-2020 6-41-40 AM.png
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Having an especially bad day today. Yes, the red lines are dropped packets...  Broken audio and video during VC. Sharing screen in Teams is not possible 😡

Also, in Washington state (Renton area).

05072020.jpg
Highlighted
Contributor

Aargh-feel your pain there.  It's a bit better for me this afternoon.  Not as good as this morning but considerably better than most days.

5-7-2020 5-06-59 PM.png
Highlighted
Contributor

Bump-here's today's signal-typical afternoon PL.

Guessing there is a little more traffic due to Mother's Day.

Doesn't make this okay-still need increased bandwidth in Portland/Vancouver-not just because of Covid-19 increased traffic....

5-10-2020 12-20-46 PM.png
Highlighted
Contributor

Daily bump-great internet this morning-I expect about 3 hours of this.  Wish I could move all my web activities to 6am but that just isn't realistic-my bill is due=I will pay but not in a hurry.

5-11-2020 6-16-29 AM.png
Highlighted
New Poster

It looks Comcast fixed the issue last week in my area after 2 months of bad Internet
So far so good after 1 week of usage. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Great to hear!  Gives me some hope.  We have an early am service scheduled for Wednesday morning now.   1am to 5am.  We will see

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same problem , I'm in Bothell WA, so at night or weekends upstream is much better.

Had two technician visits but with no luck, they mentioned it is a network overload/congestion and they need to upgrade the node that our neighborhood connects to but it needs a managerial approval !!!

meanwhile customer service is denying any issue 😞

Frontier provides internet in my area but it has the worst customer service as well.

Highlighted
Contributor

I think the issue is across a few services in WA/OR.  I think my signal hit a new low tonight.

5-11-2020 5-00-05 PM.png
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@trackrat2 Wow, I had the exact same thing happen tonight and I live in Vancouver as well. As of right now, I'm down to about 2% PL but I had easily 20-25% for about a solid hour or two. It was completely unusable even to stream video, let alone something that required a constant steady connection.

I also have a scheduled maintenance in my area slated for 1:00 AM on Wednesday. Wild.