Community Forum

Help me with DHCP issue/compensation 4 time invested and 6 years paying 4 more than I got

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Help me with DHCP issue/compensation 4 time invested and 6 years paying 4 more than I got

8-10 months ago after an upgrade in speed to Gigidit service  I noticed there was no change in speeds overall. Thought it was my personally purchased modem/router causing issues. I ordered a replacement unit that was a significant upgrade. This unit worked for 1-2 days then would not connect. I have since bought and returned 7 different types of units. A coiple of them completely died somehow. Once I started this process I noticed my IP address was very similar and was not changing the way it had prior. At one point I had an IP address that was based in Russia for some odd reason. My IP address used to show as local to the city I live in, my neighbor still has this local ip, yet all of the ip addresses that are assigned to me are very far away in distant cities. Nobody at Comcast can explain this. Back at the beginning of this whole ordeal when self diagnosing my connection I noticed that the cable that was installed by the so called tech when I purchased my home was inferior and underrated for my connection, this cable was 100' from telephone pole to my house, it was rg6 cable. When I further inspected the line at telephone pole I noticed all of my Nieghbors had rg11 cable and there standing out like a sore thumb is my puny little rg6 non shielded, too small for its long run, and does not support high speeds nor block out interference. So for 6 years my family has been suffering through watching tv shows with rediculous amounts of buffering and slow speeds while streaming when we were supposed to be receiving the highest speeds available at that time as I have been paying for. I have spoke to about 35 Comcast employees a bout this and none of them seem to care and always try to send out a tech, I am a tech! They still don't get it! I purchased and installed my own rg11 cable from the telephone pole to my house, instantly got fabulous results, prior if I ran Speedtest it would never go above 120mbps but after I replaced the cable with one that was supposed to be there in the first place my Speedtest gave me 580mbps wirelessly on my cellphone and 900mbps hardwire computer. I deserve  compensation for installing the proper cable to my house but cannot seem to get a supervisor to call me back to discuss this. I now have a new modem that is working great except when I try to connect my very expensive ASUS rat-ax88 router it says that my isp dhcp is not functioning properly. Comcast keeps pointing there finger at the router manufacturer but the manufacturer cannot fix anything with the isp's dhcp so they cannot help. Why do the Comcast employees stick to the script that they have been givin to work with even when it has absolutely nothing to do with solving the issue? They literally ignore you and keep repeating insignificant assistance.

reprovisioning the modem works every time but has to be done at least once a week and it is extremely difficult to get past the script monkeys who don't know 1/4 of what I have learned in the last 8 months dealing with this complete waist of my time.

I want someone who can actually help me correct these issues and compensation for my personal time and effort that has still yet to correct the problem. The cable made a significant difference but the IP address issues that started with the changing of modems is ongoing and extremely stressful. 
someone who can actually help please respond before I share this story on every platform possible.

p.s. Comcast keeps pushing me to use the Xfinity modem and all of this will go away. It has nothing to do with any modem as I have tried them al, literally, this is an issue within Comcast that they are continually and blatantly ignoring!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Help me with DHCP issue/compensation 4 time invested and 6 years paying 4 more than I got

I am beyond qualified now to be a level 2 tech support agent as every time I call they learn something new from me but will still refuse to put their supervisor on the phone until I get angry because they keep ignoring what I say. I will say over and over again that the supervisor knows exactly what to do can I please speak with them and they act like I never even spoke.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Help me with DHCP issue/compensation 4 time invested and 6 years paying 4 more than I got

Thats because its company mandate that they attempt to handle any call at least 3x before they are allowed to switch you to a manager queue.

Highlighted
New Poster

Well, if you configured the network yourself, id suggest allowing it to do it automatically.
Comcast can get really *nal about manual configs.
Make sure your DNS is set to 75.75.75.76 (Default comcast DNS server)
Add alternative: 8.8.8.8 (Googles public DNS)
Alternative 2: 8.8.9.9 (Googles alternate public DNS)

There are 3 places where this information needs to be redundant; Comcast, Windows, Your modem.
Check your PC using CMD line syntax "ipconfig /all"
It should pull up alllll of your DNS and IP information as seen by Windows OS.
DO NOT POST THAT INFORMATION TO FORUMS. Its private info.

Finally, make sure that if you have kids or use them yourself, disable all VPN software as this can cause major slowdowns and issues with DNS and other IP issues.
Just uninstall them if you have them. Many run services in the background.

Also- give in and pay the 40-60 dollars for a tech if you cant figure this out. They are private contractors thru Comcast. They work for them and are required to follow standards set down by xfinity but, they are genuinely only there to help you fix your problem. Their paycheck isnt linked to comcasts customer service nor are they a 1st party employee thru xfinity. They just there to help and are being paid by xfinity to get a job done.
Unless you have the ability to read the boxes (which, legally you do not) comcasts' employees have tools you dont have and permission levels you do not to access all the hardware.

Could also try calling tech support and asking them to fully reset your connection?
If they set you up like you are brand new, it should cause the DHCP to... 'reset' to its default settings upon activation. (Tho, I think they can only do this one time per device, lol.)
This honestly sounds like a failure on a mechanical level to install the first time and thus lead to erronious configs which are causing failures.
If you are legitimately shorting your modems out, it sounds like you have a power flux problem in your home. This is easily bypassed with a surge protector tho.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Have done all of this and even learned how to reconfigure network with the coordinating netsh commands due to lack of help else where. Router just started working again because I chatted with Xfinity and mentioned the reprovisioning, again this only lasts about a week, and all of the up addresses that I receive are well over 50 miles away from my local....

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Oh and for the setup as new reply, I completely closed my account then opened a new in different name hoping it would do exactly this and it still has issues. Did I mention before that there was a point that my designated IP from the dhcp was located in Russia? ASUS router keeps saying , even after factory reset, that my isp's dhcp is not functioning correctly. Just fully lost here and no one at Comcast can seem to do anything to correct this. They say they have sent out techs on 4 different occasions and keep going round and round in same circles and Getting nowhere......

Highlighted
New Poster

My public is 2 towns over. Idk where you live but perhaps the modem is simply connecting to what it deems is the route of least resistance to get to the web?
If you live rural, it might just be hopping directly to a hub instead of a sub.
Regardless, I dont see how any of the possible problems are somthing your lil ol router could handle.
This 100% seems like a backend issue on comcast and, tbh, I can understand why everyones confused cuz logically, idk why youd have some weird direct connection to a place not local to you, relatively speaking.
It just... breaks all networking logic I know. xD

Did you do a virus check and all that at this point? The possibilities are pretty slim. lol

Highlighted
New Poster

You know, since you have a fancyer modem, perhaps you could try enabling RiPv2?
I know its outdated protocol but since youre having DHCP/routing issues anyway......... ?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Just google your question about the dhcp, it gives some easy fixes, oddly enough they have nothing to do with Comcast