Community Forum

Gateway

Highlighted
New Poster

Gateway

Given that the USB port is useless on the Gateway, what “critical” services/feature will I lose by switching to my own router? I want to have a harddrive connected to the network.
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Gateway

@FL1957 wrote:
Given that the USB port is useless on the Gateway, what “critical” services/feature will I lose by switching to my own router? I want to have a harddrive connected to the network.

You will probably gain some new features that are not supported by Comcast Gateways.

I use the XB6 only because I am cramped for space and if I got my own modem, I would have to add a box for Comcast XHome.  (Some retail modems have Comcast Voice which would save me another box)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

You would lose some pay-features like the remote-control 'xFi' stuff as well as rather excellent comcast apps/GUIs/software.   I opt out of it all since it costs extra but I am always impressed by their software & system offerings.     Many of the xfinity features are available for free in various aftermarket router/wifi/hubs, along with some extras.  It's case-by-case pairwise comparison between whichever revision xfinity router/wifi/hub and whichever retail router/wifi/hub you are considering.   Consider to obtain a side-by-side comparison of full-feature-lists for device which you are comparing and possibly highlight the features you care most about.     Also it is most versatile for future-proofing and testing to own a cable-modem as a separate device rather than integrated into your owned router/wifi/hub. 

Highlighted
Expert

OP didn't return. Dead thread closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!