FL1957's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Sunday, April 5th, 2020 4:00 AM

Closed

Gateway

Given that the USB port is useless on the Gateway, what “critical” services/feature will I lose by switching to my own router? I want to have a harddrive connected to the network.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

179 Messages

4 years ago

You would lose some pay-features like the remote-control 'xFi' stuff as well as rather excellent comcast apps/GUIs/software.   I opt out of it all since it costs extra but I am always impressed by their software & system offerings.     Many of the xfinity features are available for free in various aftermarket router/wifi/hubs, along with some extras.  It's case-by-case pairwise comparison between whichever revision xfinity router/wifi/hub and whichever retail router/wifi/hub you are considering.   Consider to obtain a side-by-side comparison of full-feature-lists for device which you are comparing and possibly highlight the features you care most about.     Also it is most versatile for future-proofing and testing to own a cable-modem as a separate device rather than integrated into your owned router/wifi/hub. 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

OP didn't return. Dead thread closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here