Community Forum

Frequent and Prolonged Service Outages

Highlighted
New Poster

Frequent and Prolonged Service Outages

So here I am, in my fourth (4th) month of having Comcast's Xfinity 300 Mbps internet. Out of four months, 2 have had service outages. Let me elaborate that it is not two months of outages but two months where I have had prolonged periods of service outages. Last month I had a service outage that prohibited my ability to work for two business days. My work causes me to build a lot of files that are rather large. I need to backup a mass majority of that material on a cloud. I have estimated over 6 TB's to backup before August starts. I'm still sorting through it all to see what can be left out. I've spent the better half of two months none stop uploading to the cloud the most important of the files. Which happen to be the largest of them. This requirement has caused me to eat up my 1.2 TB data limit this month, so I optioned to pay for the unlimited plan. All because I am in need of the service. At an upload speed of 20 Mbps and when I'm lucky boosting to 30 Mbps, the process is rather slow (roughly some 320 GB in 24 hours). If I don't have service for 1 hour, I lost the ability to upload about 13 GB give or take, these are rough estimates. Another thing to note, my backup is not automated. It requires that I review the files that will be backed up, and to organize them into the right directories in the cloud. It is a time consuming process that can't be automated for now. Add to that the outages, and like last time, loosing 2 days I lost the potential for roughly 650 GB to be uploaded. I was in the middle of uploads those days and it really set me back. This outage is on track to being the same. Worse yet I still work creating new content that will need to be uploaded simultaneously with these backups. Luckily today I didn't need to turn in the project. But tomorrow I HAVE to turn it in early, as in as early as possible. That's why I'm up at 1 AM in the morning right now. Rendering and taking the moment to write this post. My decision to keep the Xfinity service hangs on a thin line. I've had AT&T's services for over 10 years now without a single interruption that I can remember affecting me like this and optioned for Xfinity's faster internet services. But at this rate, reliability giving me a steady slower speed is faster than a faster speed that I can't use when I need to. If this service is still out by the time I'm done with my project it effectively has prohibited my productivity several folds beyond just the necessary backups. Luckily I have a backup in place now that will help me. But if I have to use my backup it doesn't speak highly for Comcast. Do you know what it is that I can't trust a service so much that I have a backup to it? That's something I never had to consider with AT&T. Worse yet, their intentions of having constant access with their Hotspot is entirely useless when the Hotspot is provided by customers with Xfinity service. Their units provide the coverage and when a community based system like that has a community without service, their backup service is equally useless. Yup, I quickly jumped to connect to the Xfinity Wifi Hotspot and not surprising, it has no internet either. That's not much help when your backup rides on the same internal system that you are trying to protect against failure. Like storing backups in the same building. If the building burns, you not only lost the originals, but the backups too.

Dear XFinity, this new customer is hurting paying such a high price for a service that has to be considered unreliable. Outages should not last a full business day, least of all 2. Your services should not be suffering outages every month or multiple times in a year. A single or a few minor outages is to be expected but 1 or even 2 outages lasting a day or more should never happen in a whole year unless a natural disaster destroyed infrastructure. You charge much more than anyone else and despite your customer service being great I don't want to have to call them often. I rather have reliability than great customer service. Otherwise there is no point.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Frequent and Prolonged Service Outages

I want to post an update to the outage. Just as I predicted at 1 AM that this second outage would kill a second business days worth of work. It is day two of the outage, and every time frame claimed by Xfinity that the outage would be fixed by, has passed. It is Nearly noon on day 2 and I have not had Internet service since Yesterday morning. Another wasted Two days. Thankfully though I have a backup this time that is not Comcast dependent that I was able to submit my project through. But it is just extremely disappointing that a company charges so much money for services it has trouble providing reliably. Had two months of great service, third month had two days without service. Now this fourth Month I have another two days without service and still ongoing which means it could even be longer that I end up without service. I still have a deadline to upload a lot of files and currently no internet to do it with. My current connection that isn't Comcast dependent is not set for uploading massive amounts of files. Waste of money at this point, if this goes on for a third day, or I end up with another major outage like this in 2020, I'm just dropping Comcast's Xfinity flat out. I can't wake up and feel confident about my internet service. It's wake up and ask, will I have any internet today. Something I never felt in the decade of having AT&T.