Community Forum

Faster upload speeds - how?

New Poster

Faster upload speeds - how?

I have Xfinity 75/5 service, and to be honest, 5Mbps upload speeds are embarrassingly slow. I do content creation on the side, and a 20-minute 4k video can take me around 3 hours to upload. This is horrible! I can't afford to go with a 1000Mbit download plan that costs 4x as much as I'm currently paying. The 75Mbps download speed is fine, I only need faster upload speeds so that I can speed up my content creation pipeline. When is Xfinity going to get serious and give customers the upload speeds that they need???

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Faster upload speeds - how?

The option is there but as you found out, it is more expensive than what you’re presently paying for.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

I'm more than happy with 75Mbps downstream. I need more upload speed, and I'm willing to pay incrementally more for it. For example, I'd even pay more than I am right now for a 50/50 synchronous connection. The options simply don't exist though. I don't need 1000 down, or even 200 down.

When will Xfinity offer more options to consumers who do content creation? 5Mbps is from the 90s.

Expert

Due to current DOCSIS limitations on upstream, you won’t be able to get much faster without paying more for a higher speed tier.

Full Duplex DOCSIS which is still some time down the road will address that.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Interesting, thanks for the pointer. I do use the Netgear CM500 as my cable modem, and it only supports DOCSIS 3.0. According to Wikipedia, DOCSIS 3.1 is the full duplex connection you were referring to.

A few questions that come to mind:

• I presume the issue is that my area simply may not support DOCSIS 3.1 Full Duplex / 4.0 yet? Would that be an accurate assessment? Is there a way for me to find out?
  • Do you know if there are any coverage maps that show where DOCSIS 3.1 FD / 4.0 is available? 
  • Are there physical changes (new wiring, for example) that have to happen to subdivisions in order to support DOCSIS 3.1 Full Duplex / 4.0?
  • Is there any way to put in requests for this service? Do people at Xfinity stores know what they're talking about?
Expert

Yes

No

No

No

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Silver Problem Solver

@pcgeek86 wrote:

Interesting, thanks for the pointer. I do use the Netgear CM500 as my cable modem, and it only supports DOCSIS 3.0. According to Wikipedia, DOCSIS 3.1 is the full duplex connection you were referring to.

• I presume the issue is that my area simply may not support DOCSIS 3.1 Full Duplex / 4.0 yet? Would that be an accurate assessment? Is there a way for me to find out?
  • Do you know if there are any coverage maps that show where DOCSIS 3.1 FD / 4.0 is available? 
  • Are there physical changes (new wiring, for example) that have to happen to subdivisions in order to support DOCSIS 3.1 Full Duplex / 4.0?
  • Is there any way to put in requests for this service? Do people at Xfinity stores know what they're talking about?

Just a general map:

https://www.xfinity.com/gig

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@pcgeek86 wrote:

Just a general map:

https://www.xfinity.com/gig

@RobertWy  FWIW, the OP asked for a coverage map of areas offering "full duplex" service (which is non-existant as of yet), not a map for areas that offer gig speed  service.