Community Forum

Extreme internet keeps dropping intermittently

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Extreme internet keeps dropping intermittently

I have replace my Extreme modem once and the problem still exists.  I work from home and cannot have the internet dropping randomly for any reason - lost $$$.  Everytime I test it comes up as blazing fast but then we get intermittent 10-30 seconds drops of the signal which either hangs up the Netflix or freezes my video conferences, etc.  I still believe that Comcast has the fastest service available but the reliability is SO bad I don't know what else to do.  Please help!

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Extreme internet keeps dropping intermittently

Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

It is a wireless configuration 99% of the time.  However, I did connect directly via a wired connection and it also dropped.  Very frustrating.  I tried to expand the network and spread out the traffic via a Google mesh network and that did not help either so I removed it and reverted to just the Extreme modem.  

Highlighted
Expert

O/k What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I have a Technicolor, cgm4140com.  Revision 2.2

Highlighted
Expert

What about those signal status numbers ?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I can't login with my proper credentials to get that information.  the gateway says that its an incorrect userid which is not true unless I am missing something.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

The 192.168.100.1 just spins and never gives me any info.  The 10.0.0.1 gives me the first 15 connected devices in a table and some high level info but when I try to login via that page it doesn't recognize my login information. 

Highlighted
Expert

The default username is admin and the default password is password

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

You are going to be very disappointed with me.  I used admin/password, changed the password and thought I had properly saved it to my password app and didn't.  Now I just get locked out for 5 minutes at a time for 3 failed attempts.  any ideas?  Thank you for your patience here.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@farandsure1892 wrote:

You are going to be very disappointed with me.  I used admin/password, changed the password and thought I had properly saved it to my password app and didn't.  Now I just get locked out for 5 minutes at a time for 3 failed attempts.  any ideas?  Thank you for your patience here.

I found this, which will reset the Xfinity Gateway:

A factory reset restores your Gateway to its original default settings, including your WiFi name and password. A factory reset requires using a small object, such as a paper clip or pin, to hold in the Reset button on the back of the Gateway for 30 seconds until all the LED lights power off.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Expert

@farandsure1892 

Bear in mind that if you do do the above, you will lose any customized settings, and they will need to be re-configured from scratch.

Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks @EG for the username/pw hint!  

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Did you find a solution here?