bobjay's profile

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

Monday, June 15th, 2020 11:00 AM

Closed

Extreme Pro Internet - No Change From Previous Speed

Two weeks ago I changed my internet from 175 mbps to extreme pro at 600 mbps. Before the change I was achieving 160 - 180 mbps download speeds as measured by the xfinity speed test app. After recycling my modem and router I experienced no change in the download speed. II called customer service to see if my plan was actually changed. The service person said he did change and I was on the 600 mbps plan but he needed to check something and instead of me waiting on hold he would call me back. He never called and I still do not have an answer to my question as to why I see no change from my prior speed. I checked the specs on my modem (SB6190) and wireless router (Netgear R6300 V2) and both are capable of achieving 600 mbps. My computer adapter also is capable of this speed. Has anyone experience this issue or can offer advice?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

For a test, what speeds do you get with a computer connected directly to the 6190 (no router in the mix) ?

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Are there any QoS settings enabled in that router ? If so, try disabling them. 

FWIW, I had that router in the past and I ditched it after a month because of the same problem. I could never get good throughput performance with it. Good luck !

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Connected directly to the 6190 I get 638. When I bring the router into play I get 360 when connected to a LAN port and 180 connected by wifi.  I guess Comcast is delivering the speed to the modem but the bottleneck is the router. When I check the router specs it appears to handle high speeds (Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T) and wirelessly (Fast 802.11 AC Router- AC1200 (300+867Mbps)  so I am confused as to why I have such low throughput out of the router. At least I know the router is the problem. Now to decide which router to buy.

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks EG. Whch router did you end up with?

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

There have been many ! I'm currently using Netgear X4S R7800.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here