Community Forum

External IP Address

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

External IP Address

Hello, 

Is my external Comcast IP address static or will Comcast change it?  I need a static address for my VoIP provider (1-VoIP).  If Comcast will be changing my external IP address from time-to-time, how do I make things work with my VoIP service?

Thank you!

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: External IP Address

Your IP is dynamic, although it can often stay the same for years if you don't disconnect for more than a few days.

Highlighted
Expert

@wcoleman1953 wrote:

I need a static address for my VoIP provider (1-VoIP). 

Only their Business Class service offers statically assigned public / WAN IP addresses.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

So, even the residential GIGABIT service is using dynamic IP addresses?

Highlighted
Expert

Yes

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Will Comcast provide a static IP address if I ask for one?  Is there a fee?  Thank you!

Highlighted
Expert

No, not on residential service. Statically assigned IP addresses are only available with their Business Class service.