Community Forum

Experience in resolving issues around latency/dropped packets in the evenings

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Experience in resolving issues around latency/dropped packets in the evenings

I've moved into a new neighborhood and am on a 300 down / 10 up internet package. During the day and early morning, I see solid service. However, by around 4pm until the late evening, it basically turns to this every night:

https://imgur.com/a/EWZXV1N

I've gone through voice chatting with an operator, text chat multiple times, seen the script they try to run through with you to troubleshoot. It's not an issue with connection to the house, a tech was just out when I moved in to refresh all the connectors in January, and I've been out to look and everything looks fine. Plus, it's just about perfect during the day.

I'm looking for a bit of light at the end of the tunnel here. Does anyone have experience with Comcast actually solving an issue like this on their end, whether that's at the neighborhood node level or further upstream? Worried that my only recourse is to drop Xfinity and go with a slower, hopefully more stable connection in CenturyLink, which has 100 mbps FTTN in my area.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Experience in resolving issues around latency/dropped packets in the evenings

Is this what you read?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Internet-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/3310447#M316652

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Experience in resolving issues around latency/dropped packets in the evenings

@RobertWy No it's not.

I literally explained the problem, and I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps in this link. It's not the usual "check your cables" situation since this only happens in the evenings, every single night.

I can only assume I now live in a neighborhood with high-usage neighbors and the throughput is terrible at night because of it. If that's the case, is this something that Comcast will eventually fix in peoples' experience or will I be forced to go to another provider? I'd like to avoid spending weeks of the end-around with Xfinity if they won't do anything in this case.