joey301's profile

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, February 12th, 2020 6:00 AM

Closed

Ethernet speed test vs WiFi

My PC is connected directly to the modem via ethernet, there is no wi-fi on the PC. I have a wifi network for all of my other devices. In my PC, I am not getting gigabyte speeds, but rather, I am getting speeds of 98mps. I don't understand why my PC is not on the 'network' because the wi-fi network and the ethernet are all via the same modem. How can I get gigabyte speeds and does the speed test ever measure ethernet speeds or does it always measure Wi-Fi speeds? If my PC is not on Wi-Fi, how is a test even being run because the speed test says to connect to WiFi

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

hmmm, im not sure how to tell that, or where it would be. Can i plug the ethernet into my GUI?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Your PC would need a gigabit nic card or it will never register over 100

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

THank you so much for your help on this. I have opened the system information tab, i can see the adapter, but when I look at the information, I don't see anything about speed or gigabytes. All i can see is that it is Ethernet 802.3

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

what did you mean to post publically? I thought i had.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you. I did check my nic card, it reports that it is a gigabyte card

Contributor

• 

89 Messages

4 years ago

Google 'how do I find the NIC speed on windows X' where X is your version of windows, i.e., if I was running windows 10 I would google 'how do I find the NIC speed on windows 10'.     In the event you are running windows 10....

https://winaero.com/blog/see-the-ethernet-or-wifi-adapter-speed-in-windows-10/

As @CCAndrew alluded to, your interface is probably running 100Mb and not 1000Mb or 1Gb (they are the same, it's a matter of reporting).     The gigabit standard allows devices to negotiate the link speed.   Ideally the two negotiate 1Gb but if that fails, they will then try 100Mb.   If they can establish a link @ 100Mb that's where it stays and you'll never see gigabit speeds on that device.    If 100Mb fails then they may try 10Mb.   The good news is that you can unplug the ethernet cable, plug it back in, and it *may* negotiate 1Gb again.  

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here