Community Forum

Ethernet from Coax Outlet

Highlighted
New Poster

Ethernet from Coax Outlet

This may be a simple question, but I'm having trouble finding a straight answer. I have my Modem setup in my living room but have my desk and computer in a separate room. This room only has a coax outlet and I'm wondering for the best way to hardwire my PC with ethernet? 

I've looked into MoCA newtorks or adding a 2nd router but am not sure which is the best way to achieve a hardwired PC.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Ethernet from Coax Outlet

A direct run with ethernet cable is always the best, but it is often not feasible. MoCA adapters are the next best choice.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I have exactly the same issue. Isn't it possible to get a second "modem" (that doesn't have wifi) to add to the office coax outlet? MoCA adapters are not the right thing to use for this. Doesn't xfinity have something? Help would be very appreciated, especially since I am now teaching via zoom, and am having problems with "wifi lag".

Highlighted
Expert

Many systems will not allow two modems to be used at one address. It's best to call in to see what the local policy is. Even if they do allow it you will need to pay for two accounts (twice what you are paying for HSI now).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!