Community Forum

Dynamic IP won’t change

Highlighted
New Poster

Dynamic IP won’t change

My dynamic ip won’t change I tried everything even contacted Comcast and they didn't do anything what do I do?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Dynamic IP won’t change

Comcast's dynamically assigned IP's are what as known as being *sticky dynamic*. Why do you need it changed ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I need it changed because I’m getting ddos and people are stressing my ip then when I get a new ip I will get a vpn. Is it possible for me or my isp to change my stick dynamic.

Highlighted
Expert

If you have a router that has a MAC address cloning feature, you can clone a different MAC address in to it. This will force their DHCP server to assign a new / different public IP address to your connection.

The Comcast supplied gateway devices do not have this feature.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

I have the xfi gateway and I don’t think I can do that so what should I do contact Comcast 

Highlighted
Expert

You can try but don't hold your breath. Good luck !

Highlighted
New Poster

If I have port forwarding set up is that why my dynamic up won’t change?
Highlighted
Expert

No. As stated, the MAC address of the device would need to be different. Their dynamic IP are tied to the MAC address of the router.