Community Forum

Does Comcast lose internet when your home as a whole home Power Back up System

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Does Comcast lose internet when your home as a whole home Power Back up System

PG&E and their PSPS power outages, when they occur, if you have a whole home backup, either Generator, or Battery, does Comcast lose the internet.  Someone told me that with their whole home powered on with their generator, modens, routers, etc, all had power, they had no internet with Comcast.  How can that be?????? 

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Does Comcast lose internet when your home as a whole home Power Back up System

The local Comcast nodes get power from your local utilities, so if there's a wide area blackout, they'll go down also. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Does Comcast lose internet when your home as a whole home Power Back up System

Thanks for replying.  So why do some folks with backup have internet, and other folks with backup have no internet during a power outage?   How do you determine where Comcast has their nodes.

I guess if the nodes are in the area of the blackout no back up system will help you?  If the nodes are outside your black out area you should have internet.

Is that right?

Thanks

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

It’s possible those areas had generators at the node. It would be impossible to tell for sure

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!