Community Forum

Do I need a new modem with my upgraded service? Speeds have tanked

Highlighted
New Poster

Do I need a new modem with my upgraded service? Speeds have tanked

I was getting 40-50 speeds with my BLAST service and then I upgraded to EXTREME internet. Ever since my speed tests are now under 10. I had faster service with BLAST than EXTREME.

Nothing but the modem, no router.

Nothing else has changed.

Spoke to agent via chat and they sent a new "bootfile" to the modem and I restarted everything and the speeds are the same under 10. It's very difficult with the slower speeds especially since I've been paying for the faster service.

Do I need an upgraded modem? They didn't say anything about it when I upgraded the service.

The account page says I have "ARRIS Group, Inc. TG1682G" modem.

thanks for any reply, this is a mystery and all agents want to do is refresh my service and it doesn't do a thing.

Expert

Re: Do I need a new modem with my upgraded service? Speeds have tanked

@Uncarved wrote:

Nothing but the modem, no router.

FWIW, that device is a combination cable modem / router. It's called a gateway device. That said, Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I will have to see.

Literally only do wifi connection and the 45 or so mbps a month ago, called to upgrade, power cycled and boom its been at 10 ever since.

Just wondering if I needed a new modem. I upgraded the internet and took off the voice so I didn't know if another modem may give me the faster speed.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

With the tg1682g, I have gotten roughly on wifi, 600 Mbs, so your gateway is very capable of the speeds you require

Highlighted
Expert

FWIW, everyone's local WiFi evironment can be radically different. ...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

tech coming out. hitting 8mbps now on Extreme internet 300mbps plan.