Community Forum

Disconnect Old Desktop from Arris TG1682G And It Still Works with Just Laptops?

Highlighted
Contributor

Disconnect Old Desktop from Arris TG1682G And It Still Works with Just Laptops?

Our desktop is nine years old and had Windows 7 so it is now "dead." We had it hooked into the Arris TG1682G as it didn't have a wireless card in it. We now use one PC laptop and one Macbook laptop. Can I just remove the ethernet cord connecting the old desktop and the Arris will still work? Or is it somehow programmed into the old computer's system? Will I need to have a technician come out and make this work with our laptops? Thanks for any help you can give this baby boomer who's trying to figure this out. Susan
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Disconnect Old Desktop from Arris TG1682G And It Still Works with Just Laptops?

@FirecrackerGirl wrote:
Can I just remove the ethernet cord connecting the old desktop and the Arris will still work?

Yes.

Or is it somehow programmed into the old computer's system?

No

Will I need to have a technician come out and make this work with our laptops?

No

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Disconnect Old Desktop from Arris TG1682G And It Still Works with Just Laptops?

Thanks so much for the answers. I was thinking that I could do as you said, but I needed some reinforcement from someone or some people who know more about this stuff than I do. I'm ready to ditch an archaic desktop for sure!
Highlighted
Expert

Quite welcome ! Smiley Happy

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!