Community Forum

Defaulting to 2.4, not 5GHz

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Defaulting to 2.4, not 5GHz

Got a new modem Saturday 5/16, and unlike the dual network options I had before where I could choose to use 2.4Ghz or 5.0, this new set-up only seems to have one network. 

But it keeps defaulting to 2.4. I got on chat Saturday and a tech did some tech thing and I re-logged and had 5.0 (My d/l speed improved from 40m to 220). By Monday I was back to 2.4 and the chat person today may have been a useless buffoon.  He ordered a new modem, but I have little faith that that is the answer. 

Any settings I need to know about? Thanks for any help!  

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Defaulting to 2.4, not 5GHz

If you are not using any Xfi Pods, you can try separating the 2.4 and the 5.0 bands and give them two different broadcast names / SSID's;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Defaulting to 2.4, not 5GHz

Thanks. I tried and wasn't sure what my network names were now, but I tried signing on to a couple things to no avail.