Community Forum

CHANGING MY IP ADDRESS

Highlighted
New Poster

CHANGING MY IP ADDRESS

I have a Xfi gateway and it runs like a beast. I have no issues with my connections until i enter into the xbox live gaming world. SOMETIMES i have hacker that attack me and i lose connections for hours. Most the time i just change my router and i have a new IP address to play fopr a while before i run into another hacker. BUT i like this Xfi gateway and it works really well.

• I want to know how can i change my IP address when i am targeted by attacks?
  • step by step what do i have to do?
  • i tried the ipconfig/renew (but the i kept the same IP address)
  • i tried a master reset (but the i kept the same IP address)

i want a solid method that will work. I do not want to always change gateways. i rather just unplug it or type in commands to change my IP address.

Please advise.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: CHANGING MY IP ADDRESS

You can't if you use their rented gateways. If you get your own retaill purchased modem and your own third party router you can change/ clone the MAC address at will which will result in a different public / WAN IP address.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: CHANGING MY IP ADDRESS

so if i buy a gateway i can change the IP address at will? how? do i just reboot the gateway? or unplug it? What do i need to look for in a new gateway to have this option?