Community Forum

CATV-20

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

CATV-20

I am getting ready to move in to a new apartment and have noticed that the cable feed coming from the wall is labeled "CATV-20." I am concerned that this means that it is RG59 cable, with a 20 AWG diameter, as opposed to 18 AWG for RG6. Responses on this forum and elsewhere are all over the place as to whether RG59 can support a broadband internet connection. Should I be concerned? I will only be using a single device over a wired connection, with the modem at a minimal distance from the wall.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: CATV-20

Yep. That's what it is. And it may be o/k if it's not too long and not in a noisy environment. No one here can guarantee anything. You won't know for sure until you try. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Just to provide a follow-up and a data point for anyone else with similar concerns--I'm pleased to report no issues whatsoever with with speed or stability.

Highlighted
Expert

Thanks for the foliow up ! Now closing this thread.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!