Community Forum

Buffering or dropping altogether

Highlighted
New Poster

Buffering or dropping altogether

Hello!  I'm new to this forum and have a question.  Last week we finally got upgraded to the Xfi Advanced Gateway.  It was a nightmare but it's on.  

After this upgrade and a plan increase to download speeds up to 1000 Mbps we are seeing more drops of internet on computers/phones and far more buffering on the TV.  Honestly, it wasn't this bad with our old system and my family feels as if this was a poor choice.  I'm thinking the pods might help but we didn't need them before and we survived OK with few minor glitches.  

Any advice for a not too tech savy individual?

Thank you!

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Buffering or dropping altogether

For a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I'll have to check that out.  It hadn't occured to me to check so I'll do that and report back!

Highlighted
Expert

We are trying to determine whether it is a *WiFi-only* problem or an overall connection quality problem to / with the Comcast coax system.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

It seems to be working fine when connected via ethernet.  We just seem to maybe be dropping wireless connections?  I'm at a loss but streaming TV, a college & high school seniors doing online learning and I'm working from home.  With all of that 4 days a week I guess I could see some issues with dropping out but weekends the number of devices on the Wifi is less.  

Any other advice?

Highlighted
Expert

Some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/improve-your-wireless-home-network

There are other options. Google for WiFi repeaters / range extenders, WiFi mesh systems / pods. 

Good luck !