Community Forum

Bridge mode on xb7 gateway

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Bridge mode on xb7 gateway

If I change my xb7 gateway to bridge mode:

1) which Gig port should I connect my router to

2) will i get a public IP address so I can turn on DDNS and update the IP address of my connections

3) if i still get a private IP address from the gateway is there a wifi router out there that can find out the public IP address I get and update ddns for me?

4) if i switch to a motorola sb8600 does that use bridge mode and will it allow me to get a public IP address on my wifi router?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Bridge mode on xb7 gateway

@marksalmonllc wrote:

If I change my xb7 gateway to bridge mode:

1) which Gig port should I connect my router to

Port number 1.

2) will i get a public IP address so I can turn on DDNS and update the IP address of my connections

That's the way it is supposed to work when it is truly in bridge mode.

3) if i still get a private IP address from the gateway is there a wifi router out there that can find out the public IP address I get and update ddns for me?

No. When the gateway device is truly in bridge mode, you should no longer get assigned a private IP addy.

4) if i switch to a motorola sb8600 does that use bridge mode and will it allow me to get a public IP address on my wifi router?

You must mean the MB 8600 ? The MB 8600 is a straight cable modem. There is no built in router component. It is always a bridge.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

great, thanks for the response. I guess it did not work because I did not reboot the xb7. sounds like saturday I will be very busy:-)

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Update: so I tried bridge mode again. at first it worked just fine, my linksys wifi box got a public IP address, so far so good. well i was playing arounsi wth my other devices and disconnected the power to the gateway. when it came back up, i noticed my internet was down. I checked the linsys and noticed no public IP address (0.0.0.0). i tried to release and renew several times but nothing. I reverted to non bridge mode and it came back up. 

while in the bridge mode just before I reverted, i noticed the gateway had a public IP address (wan IP). so i am wondering if this is a "feature" aka bug with the XB7.

Has anyone successfully used bridge mode long term using the XB7?

BTW I am getting a motorola modem on Saturday so this was a test run. I am thingking of going ahead and installing the motorola since it only supports bridge mode (according to a previous post) and try again.

this will be fun/interesting

fortunately I have a strong xfinity signal in my neighbourhood so hopefully I wont need to useless customer service folks to help me migrate to the motorola. 

Wish me luck.