Community Forum

Bonded Download Channels

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Bonded Download Channels

Just trying to determine how many bonded download channels are available in my area. Current modem is having issues and I want to make sure the replacement that I purchase takes advantage of what's available. Can anyone point me in the right direction? So far, customer service hasn't been able to assist me and/or put me in touch with the right personnel that can help. Thank you.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Bonded Download Channels

I wouldn't be concerned so much about the number of download channels in your area as I would be about getting a modem that is compatible with Comcast/Xfinity.    I personally would suggest being forward thinking and getting a modem that is also DOSCIS 3.1 compliant.    DOSCIS 3.1 supports download speeds up to 10Gb.   My old SB6121 is a 4x4 with a maxium download speed of 172 Mb/s.  An 8x32 modem should cover all offerings in your area with maybe the exception of 1Gb and I think that is only becuase the 1Gb requires special equipment.   I see a $500 equipment fee for 1Gb service in my area so that makes me think service may be optical.   I know my 8x32 modem is using all download channels yet my service plan is only 100Mb/s.    

Look at the offerings in your area, decide on what you want today as a service plan, what you will want in the future, and plan accordingly.    Even if your area has less than 32 download channels, and I doubt that's the case, I suspect all areas have 32 channels unless they are serviced by really old equipment, getting an 8x32 will work for you.   If you never, ever see wanting more than 500-600 Mb/s you can go with 8x24.

Highlighted
Expert

@Clifford1234 wrote:

Current modem is having issues .

How do you know it's the modem ? Maybe it's the connection to the system ?

Please describe the "issues" that you are having.

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

Is there a router / WiFi in the mix ? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Expert

@cxrider wrote:

DOSCIS 3.1 supports download speeds up to 10Gb.   

Yes but Comcast currently offers only a single 192 MHz  / DOCSIS 3.1 / OFDM modulated downstream channel which has a 1.89 Gigabit throughput capability, but they currently offer only a 1 Gigabit speed tier. Me thinks that it will be a long long time (if ever) before they ever free up / have enough of an RF frequency spectrum to be able to deliver 10 Gig.

An 8x32 modem should cover all offerings in your area with maybe the exception of 1Gb and I think that is only becuase the 1Gb requires special equipment.  

Comcast will only deliver the 1 Gigabit speed tier via the DOCSIS 3.1 / OFDM modulated downstream channel, not via the multiple bonded QAM 256 modulated channels, although having enough of them bonded together are theoretically capable.

I see a $500 equipment fee for 1Gb service in my area so that makes me think service may be optical.

1 Gigabit is not optical fiber, it's DOCSIS / coax. Their "Gigabit Pro" (2 gigabit) service offering is delivered via FTTH (Fiber To The Home).

I suspect all areas have 32 channels 

Many areas that have upgraded their system to DOCSIS 3.1 are now offering only 31 bonded QAM 256 / DOCSIS 3.0 downstream channels.

DOCSIS 4.0 / full duplex is on the horizon.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!