pete_c's profile

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

Saturday, October 26th, 2019 12:00 PM

Closed

Arris SB6190 Modem

Been using this modem now for about a year with no issues.  Purchased it new.

I check the signals on the Modem GUI about once a month.  Always good.

Last check the modem asked me to create a password which I did.

My guess is that the firmware was updated on the modem a few days ago.

It's been fine up until this morning.

I cannot see the modem today as it keeps bouncing.  I called customer support and they are sending a tech over on Monday morning which doesn't make sense to me.

The tech checking the modem saw that it was rebooting and working at 30%.

From here it appears that there are XFinity issues today October 26, 2019 starting late morning central time.

A few minutes ago installed old modem which is a Motorola SB 6141.  It booted fine and was working for about 20 minutes and it too started to reboot over an over again.

This is telling me that there is an issue out there in XFinity land.

I am asking for help here as the tech said there is an issue with the modem.  I think I have two issues here.

1 - firmware update that was done to my personally owned modem did not work.  IE: it no longer connects at Gb speeds and no longer provides a DHCP address....just keeps bouncing

2 - there is something going on today because back up modem is also bouncing.

We primarily use the internet today for our VOIP service and streaming services available on Roku.

Phone is down and we cannot use the internet today.

I do have a back up cellular modem which I am using right now but it is slow. It is second WAN connection used for failover on the PFSense Firewall.

Television is from Direct TV and OTA here.

So what do I do to fix this issue? or excalate this issue? 

XFinity shows no outages in my area (South of Chicago) where as multiple Xfinity reports on down detector dot com.

17:01 - 26th of October, 2019

Disconnected and powered off the SB 6190 and currently on cellular modem now. 

PFSense kept changing default router because of the SB 6190 bouncing.  Interesting that if it worked only IP6 worked and not IP4 and not well for a few minutes at a time.

This is the longest outage I have had with XFinity / Comcast.  It's been over 20 years. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

5 years ago

A couple of things concerns me here.

@pete_c wrote:

1 - firmware update that was done to my personally owned modem did not work.  IE: it no longer connects at Gb speeds and no longer provides a DHCP address....just keeps bouncing

2 - there is something going on today because back up modem is also bouncing.

"Gb speeds"? If you're subscribed to the gigabit tier, bear in mind that neither the SB6190 nor the SB6141 are rated for that tier. The spontaneous reboots might be related to the modems not getting the right firmware because, well, they're not supposed to be used for your tier. 

Also, spontaneous reboots could mean there's some issue with your internal wiring. 

Since you have a tech coming over Monday, I'm inclined to wait until he or she makes a complete evaluation of your premises wiring before I make any suggestions. Meanwhile, you can check out the following threads:

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you darkangelic

Gb speeds"? If you're subscribed to the gigabit tier, bear in mind that neither the SB6190 nor the SB6141 are rated for that tier. The spontaneous reboots might be related to the modems not getting the right firmware because, well, they're not supposed to be used for your tier.

Understood.  I am not subscribed to Gb internet.  What I meant was that the network port on the modem was connecting at 1 Gb to the Intel Gb interface on the firewall.

I sort of fixed it tonight by hard setting the firewall Intel NIC to 100Mbs full duplex.    It is not rebooting now and connects fine to the Internet with an IP4 and IP6 address. 

BUT now I see no interface at 192.168.100.1.  Just get a 404 error.

This tells me that the firmware update did change the network port on the modem from working at Gb autonegociated to not working (worked for around one year) and now I do not see the interface GUI. 

I am very familiar with the Motorola SB modems and today's SB 6190 modem.  I have updated and purchased some 5-6 SB modems now in the last twenty years.  I have always done this a la carte purchased and never have leased or used any comcast / xfinity provided hardware.

Today I am using the SB6190 modem connected to a 6 interface PFSense firewall.  I have a failover WAN connection using a cellular combo modem (voice, WAP, firewall and network switch) (might switch failover to using AT&T as a second ISP connection here) and 4 LANs plus a few VLANs connected to 4 managed 24 port switches and 1 managed 24 port POE switch and using a Ruckus WAP today which just replaced my Ubiquiti WAP.

Thank you again darkangelic for your help tonight. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

5 years ago

@pete_c posted:
HfImgPlcHldr.gif

The image is not visible. It's probably awaiting approval by Forums admins.

... CS was pleasant and said they could not upgrade my personally owned Arris SB6190. ...

Comcast phone and chat reps often say this, but it's incorrect. ALL modem and gateway devices receive a firmware update when they connect to the system if they are not already using the most current version.

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

5 years ago

Update: 1100 CST - Sunday 27th of October, 2019

I called XFinity CS to cancel the truck roll this morning then  to speak to a CS.

I explained that the firmware upgrade to my Arris SB 6190 modem removed the diagnostics GUI.

nogui.jpg

CS was pleasant and said they could not upgrade my personally owned Arris SB6190.

I told her that my issues related to XFinity upgrading the firmware for my modem.

She stated that I ask Arris CS about upgrading the firmware.  So really I did not get anywhere with the request.  The alternative solution is for me to purchase a new SB6190.

So can any XFinity techs help me here to reupgrade my SB6190 firmware such that I can get my diagnostics gui back?

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you Bruce.

How do I get my SB6190 updated such that I can see the GUI?

Installed an SB6190 at a relatives home and checked it last night and it is still running same firmware that mine was running before the update.

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

5 years ago

So who do I call to re upgrade the firmware such that I can see the SB6190 GUI?

Wondering if reporting this issue on DSL reports dot com will help?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

5 years ago

@pete_c wrote: ... How do I get my SB6190 updated such that I can see the GUI? ...

Have you tried connecting a computer directly to the 6190's Ethernet port? You'll have to reboot the modem and /release /renew the computer's IP config.

Can you copy and paste the text of the 404 screen, or host the image at Imgur or a similar site and post a link to it here? Being able to see that might help us. Posting the source HTML of the 404 page might be even better.

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you Bruce. 

Yes I have rebooted and directly connected laptop to ethernet interface.  It worked for almost a year now.  The GUI went away after last use where the modem prompted me for a new password which I created.  The GUI did work after this but then it did not work with first reboot of modem after configuring password.

I just wrote same on DSL Reports dot com and added my location and serial number to post to techs there.

404error.jpg

Odd the picture is not there when I uploaded it.

Here is the source:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0" name=GENERATOR>

HEAD>

<FRAMESET border=0 cols=150,* frameBorder=0 frameSpacing=0>
<FRAME scrolling=no src="cmSide.htm">
<FRAME src="indexData.htm">

FRAMESET>

HTML>

Changed the link above to 192.168.100.1/index.htm and it works now but....

and now see a login.  I tried to login with configured password and get an error now:

Invalid user name or password, or your access has been locked due to multiple failed login attempts

Logged in with default password of password and it prompted me to create a new password.

Thank you Bruce.  I would have never looked at the source code of the page had it not been for you.

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

5 years ago

Ahh...just seeing that it is no longer using default index.html...rather it uses:

hxxp://192.168.100.1/cgi-bin/adv_pwd_cgi

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here