Community Forum

Arris Gateway won't create event logs

Highlighted
New Poster

Arris Gateway won't create event logs

For the sake of parental control and monitoring I'm getting to know my Arris Surfboard real well.  (ARRIS SVG2482AC)  I want to be able to monitor traffic and just look at activity in general.  All I read on the internet says that I should be able to look at log files created by the gateway.  However, if I go to Troubleshooting and choose a type of log, there is never anything there.  It spins and acts like something is happening and then nothing.  I have actually never ever seen a log.

What am I missing?  I don't want to do a reset unless I have to..... 

And can this device actually show me traffic?  Meaning web traffic? Like history in a browser?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Arris Gateway won't create event logs

That’s not what event logs do, History of browsing is only accessible on the devices

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Ok... Its strange to me that the gateway thru which all traffic flows can't log what is flowing through it.  But forget about history of browsing.  Why don't I have any logs at all.   The buttons for printing and downloading are always greyed out.  Certainly there must be something going on daily. 

Where can I find out what event, system and firewall logs are supposed to be showing me?

Thanks

Highlighted
New Poster

I need to clarify things as I'm learning.....

When I log into the gateway there is a tab for troubleshooting the gateway and thats where event, system and firewall logs should be. 

There is also another section under parental control called "reports" but that is also not generating any reports either.  Both sections are dead.

However, the more I read, the more I have to respectfully disagree with the statement that history of browsing can only occur on a device.  EVERYTHING I read states that the router tracks all site visited by users.  Linksys, for example, has a much easier interface where you can click on devices and see exactly what was visited.  So I'm confused why this Arris isn't giving me logs, reports, anything at all.

Thanks

Highlighted
Expert

@erika9 wrote:

I need to clarify things as I'm learning.....

When I log into the gateway there is a tab for troubleshooting the gateway and thats where event, system and firewall logs should be. 

There is also another section under parental control called "reports" but that is also not generating any reports either.  Both sections are dead.

Are those various logging functions even enabled ? Many are not enabled by default and need to be manually enabled in the settings

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!