Community Forum

Aria scale and 802.11b

Regular Visitor

Aria scale and 802.11b

I have a Fitbit Aria scale that communicates ONLY on 802.11b and can longer connect to my WiFi since Comcast disabled 802.11b.
Expert

Re: Aria scale and 802.11b

AFAIK, all of their supplied equipment is still backward compatible with 802.11b.

Do you mean that it only is compatible with the 2.4 GHz band and not the 5.0 GHz band ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

The scale can only connect if 802.11b- specifically- is enabled. I logged on to my router, but the ability to enable it is greyed out. Xfinity has taken away the ability to change the WiFi mode.
Expert

Oh, o/k, I see. Sorry I couldn't help.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@smartykat wrote:
The scale can only connect if 802.11b- specifically- is enabled. I logged on to my router, but the ability to enable it is greyed out. Xfinity has taken away the ability to change the WiFi mode.

Maybe you can give the SSID a different name - mine is combined in one SSID.  I used to have two SSID's, one for 2.4 and the other for 5.0.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

What do the different WiFi bands have to do with devices that either support or don't support the different WiFi standards ?

Regular Visitor

Ours are separate.
Silver Problem Solver

@smartykat wrote:
Ours are separate.

Can it connect to the 2.4 SSID?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

@smartykat wrote: I have a Fitbit Aria scale that communicates ONLY on 802.11b and can longer connect to my WiFi since Comcast disabled 802.11b.

Have you seen https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1873/? The are some odd restrictions on the Wifi SSID and password:

Your SSID and password should contain only alphanumeric characters (e.g. A-Z, 0-9). If you experience issues connecting to a network that uses special characters, change the name of the network to only use alphanumeric characters, and try to connect again.
Expert

Hmmm... The poster stated this;

"The scale can only connect if 802.11b- specifically- is enabled. I logged on to my router, but the ability to enable it is greyed out. Xfinity has taken away the ability to change the WiFi mode."

I wonder if Comcast decided to no longer have their gateways support the "B" WiFi protocol and disabled it with a recent firmware update ? Can an official employee or someone with a CC gateway confirm or deny please ?

Expert

I'm going to query an employee and have them respond here.