um8887's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Friday, May 22nd, 2020 7:00 AM

Closed

Amplifier or splitter with amplifier, internet speed, XFI speeds

Hello everyone, my name is Karl.

This is my first post, I need some help, advice, some clarity (obviously why I'm here haha). I am somewhat tech savy and I am mechanically inclined. But the coax dB and frequencies and interference and such is all new terms to me since I have never ventured into this type of stuff besides connecting equuipment or putting a splitter in to have a cable ran to a new location. I have the X1 package, 1 gig internet ect. I did double check my speed was 1gig on my account. I have the newest white XFI modem( wish it wasnt white). Was having some DVR cable box and internet issues, like dropped signals, blotchy speeds, cable box freezing up and such. When it was first added to my account a couple years ago, the tech did not go under the house to install the amplifier that usually the X1 platform get when signing up but he did say my signal from the pole to my house was 0bB, which I was told the ideal number. So I went under the house noticed a BUNCH of splitters. Probably outdated, some a lot older and some newer. Not sure, who cares. Got get rid of all them. I went out and bought a Antronix VRA900B cable amplifier "9 Port Bi-Directional Cable TV Splitter Signal Booster/Amplifier with Active Return Zero Signal Loss VoIP Telephone Bypass Port." Ran the cable from my outside directly inside through the brick, no splits, into the "in" of the cable amplifier. I ran the "power" from the wall outlet adapter to the the 15V 400mA port. Next I ran the coax cables (all pre-existing installed with home some thicker some not so thick) from the "output" ports to all my tvs boxes. My cable modem coax cable is newer (thicker coax), it is run directly from the amplifier to the coax wall outlet (like a electrical outlet but coax and attach the cable onto) which then a short 3' included comcast cable connects it to the modem.  My ultimate goal here is to have a very good TV signal to all my cable boxes and have the best cable modem performance WiFi distance/speed/strength/reliability that is possible.

My questions are the following:

First things first, is this amplifier ideal for the XFI platform or should I swap it out to another one or a better option?

Do I have to connect my XFI modem to the "-4dB VolP output" (not worried about power outages due to having a generator) or would it be better/ stronger to one of the regular "output"? Looking for the better signal strength output.

Before, after, swapping cable outputs/inputs, do I unplug the amplifier from the wall outlet?

Do the amplifiers ever need to be powered down to reset and how would you know if they do and how long to keep powered down to reset?

The unused "output" ports, do they HAVE to have terminators? Does the speeds and operation of the amplifier differ greatly if not?

The position of my modem is directly in the center of my home, about 5' off the floor on a desk. May sound dumb to ask but, does a cordless phone that is connected to the modem that is 3' away on the other side of the desk effect the WiFi? They only gave me a 3' phone cable to attach to modem for landline, but I dont use it regardless. Should I just remove it?  Also there is a small 2 speaker system, on the desk with a subwoofer on the floor. Would that have any effect on the Wifi also?

Your guys help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Thank you all in advance! Hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for your reply. I knew they installed amplifiers, just didnt know the exact brand and model at the time until now. So I purchased one thinking they all worked the same. My mistake. That is why I'm here asking for assistance haha. I asked regarding the passive or the regular outputs for the modem because I have read (yes i know its the internet) that people have also put the connection in the regular output port and had good results. So I'll remove the home phone line for possible interference and I will also buy the correct amplifier for the system.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

That isn’t the “right” amp. I don’t believe it passes moca, which x1 boxes use. Don’t take this the wrong way but if you knew what amps are being used (from your post), why did you get a different model? Correct model is attached
0 dB is better at your equipment, not before a bunch of splitters, as you have found out.
You should hook your modem to the Voip because you don’t want your modem’s levels to be amplified. That port is like an internal 2 way splitter (-4=dB loss on that port).
You don’t have to unplug unless you want to.
Open ports should be terminated for noise/interference purposes.
Cordless phones use the same 2.4 ghz WiFi band that the router uses, so it’s possible.

1 Attachment

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Just out of curiosity... my friends have had the amplifier installed in their homes from Comcast tech and they did not connect their modem to the VoIP our port. Would it hurt to put the modem in an amplified port? Would it benefit? Would it not work? Or does it vary per house?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

That’s the thing, none of the ports are amplified at all. The amp makes up for any splitter loss. It’s an amp in name only, not for its actions. People put it on the non Voip port all the time for rooms that happen to split modem and cable box off one outlet. The voip port is the only port that isn’t powered, it won’t loss signal like the others if the amp loses power

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

You stated previously, "You should hook your modem to the Voip because you don’t want your modem’s levels to be amplified." Thats why  I am asking. Being I have a backup generator, power loss is not an issue for me. Would I get a better signal and strength to my modem with a 0db output rather than the -4db VoIP output

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Sorry this last answer was in reference to the amp that you should have bought in the first place. You quoted me on the amp that you originally bought, 2 totally different pieces of equipment

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Spoiler
I purchased the one you recommended and it had been out of stock, so they sent me:
Commscope CSMAPDU9VPI 9-port MoCA HomeConnect Passive VoIP Amplifier with MoCA Connectivity

It has -6db voIP 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

It’s exactly the same except it has a moca filter inside, the one pictured above didn’t. The 6 refers to the dB loss of signal using that port. Example if you have 10db on a certain channel, you’ll have roughly the same on every port except the voip which end up around 4db. Dvr goes in port 1, next longest cable outlet in port 2 and so on

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

So DVR in port 1, longest run port 2 and so on. Got it. How about the XFi modem/router? I have 0db signal from pole to house when comcast came out and tested it. So 0db going into the amp. Is it better to put modem on output or VoLp? As I said I do have a generator so power loss isnt a concern. Wifi signal strength and speed is goals. 

Also, if I was to run new cables to just directly to my DVR and my cable modem, which type of coax is the better for those? R6, R11, shielding, etc. 2

Thanks again for all your help.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here