Community Forum

After 2 years am told that Comcast no longer supports separate voice and data modems

wizzy99
Regular Visitor

After 2 years am told that Comcast no longer supports separate voice and data modems

For the past two years I've had Triple Play. When I started I'd recently purchased a new data modem, so when I added voice I opted to purchase a separate voice modem as no voice modems at that time were comparable to my data-only modem.  Flash foward to last week when my two year contract was up and the rate spiked. I called in, and was able to get the same package but with a different name. Was told it was the identical service I had (minus Epix).

Last night internet died.  I checked my data modem and it had a Walled Garden config file.  Called and spoke to 4 separate reps who each said some variation of "I've never seen a customer with two modems before" and followed it up with "the system won't let me add a second modem, too bad, so sad".

Is this a case of hang up and call again (but where), or is there a technical reason why this magically stopped worked last night?  In the interim I moved my voice modem (with it's newly activated data feed) into place but speeds are slower than I had been seeing with my data-only modem.

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: After 2 years am told that Comcast no longer supports separate voice and data modems

Escalated up to an Official Employee for comment on having 2 separate modems. I haven’t heard of that practice changing, but you never know

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
ComcastAmir
Official Employee

Re: After 2 years am told that Comcast no longer supports separate voice and data modems

Hi wizzy99, the information that the agents shared is correct. You can only have one modem on the account at a time for voice and internet. So if you own your own equipment, the modem would need to be a internet/phone combo. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, I'd be happy to address them for you.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
fishzome
Regular Visitor

I had the same issue.  A technician came to the house and provisioned my SB8200 and I still retained the 822 for voice.

EG
Expert

5 month old dead thread now being closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!