Community Forum

Actiontec Ecb6200

Highlighted
New Poster

Actiontec Ecb6200

Hello people smarter than me! Like the rest of the world I'm working from home. Unfortunately I returned the loaner laptop I had and brought home my desktop. Unfortunately said desktop doesn't have Wi-Fi so I Googled and found the subject network extender.
I did check and my modem, the gigabyte one, is MoCA compatible. If I'm understanding correctly I should be able to hook up to coax and ethernet from the device to the computer. I can't get it to work on any of my outlets, including the one where my router works outstandingly well.
I'm not super tech savvy but I need help because I don't want to use vacation days due to lack of Wi-Fi.
Thanks for any and all guidance!
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Actiontec Ecb6200

@msufans5 wrote:
Hello people smarter than me! Like the rest of the world I'm working from home. Unfortunately I returned the loaner laptop I had and brought home my desktop. Unfortunately said desktop doesn't have Wi-Fi so I Googled and found the subject network extender.
I did check and my modem, the gigabyte one, is MoCA compatible. If I'm understanding correctly I should be able to hook up to coax and ethernet from the device to the computer. I can't get it to work on any of my outlets, including the one where my router works outstandingly well.
I'm not super tech savvy but I need help because I don't want to use vacation days due to lack of Wi-Fi.
Thanks for any and all guidance!

Wouldn't it have made more sense to just get a USB WiFi Network adapter for your desktop? Something like this, for instance. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I read that those aren't as reliable as what I bought. Has your experience been positive if you've used this device?
I'm still baffled how the extender doesn't work with the cable outlet where the router is hooked up.
Highlighted
Expert

It's only as reliable as your home WiFi signal is. I used one of these for a relatively old second generation i5 machine I was using as an HTPC until I got my Roku Premiere. 

MoCA setups are finicky. You're probably better off talking to tech support for your Actiontec device. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I tried tech support and they said my outlets must be bad even though they were checked last month. I'll look into the USB option. I'm in the basement and my router is upstairs. I get a good signal on my phone so hopefully this works. Thanks for the help.
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Comcast tech support can’t help diagnose your moca issues. It isn’t their equipment and if you have signal to your modem that’s basically where their responsibility ends in regards to third party equipment. Follow @darkangelic advice or Wi-Fi extender with Ethernet out to your pc

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!