Community Forum

A Comcast tech added a new wifi network on my router

Highlighted
New Poster

A Comcast tech added a new wifi network on my router

I recently upgraded to a new router. The tech that installed it said that because I am using a Google Mesh that he had to add a new wifi network on my router.  He promised it would not be visible. Now I see that it is visible.  Why is the new wifi network needed? And if actually needed, can I make it invisible without affecting any other features on my home network?  There is currently nothing logged onto that new network. 

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: A Comcast tech added a new wifi network on my router

Could you give us some more details:

Is your modem a Comcast-rented modem or your own?

If it's a Comcast-rented one, was it put in Bridge Mode to support the Google Wifi Mesh?

What are the SSID's types that were set up? (e.g. the one you usually use vs this new one)?

If it's your own Google Mesh, you should be able to use the Google WiFi App to configure it however you'd like. So I'm trying to understand if he split frequencies (2.4 vs 5GHz) for certain devices.

@Golden226 wrote:

I recently upgraded to a new router. The tech that installed it said that because I am using a Google Mesh that he had to add a new wifi network on my router.  He promised it would not be visible. Now I see that it is visible.  Why is the new wifi network needed? And if actually needed, can I make it invisible without affecting any other features on my home network?  There is currently nothing logged onto that new network. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee on the Identity Product Team and the Serviceability team at HQ.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Is your modem a Comcast-rented modem or your own? Rented

If it's a Comcast-rented one, was it put in Bridge Mode to support the Google Wifi Mesh? Not sure. I see no "Bridge Mode" setting. The router shows up as a "Gateway" if that means anything. 

What are the SSID's types that were set up? (e.g. the one you usually use vs this new one)? Not sure. Sorry, I am not that proficient. 

If it's your own Google Mesh, you should be able to use the Google WiFi App to configure it however you'd like. So I'm trying to understand if he split frequencies (2.4 vs 5GHz) for certain devices. The Google Mesh has both 2.4 and 5GHz bands. There is a disabled setting for the new network to add an identifier for both bands so only one shows up when I search for wifi networks. 

As I said, I can't think of why this is needed. Thank you for your quick response and help. 

Highlighted
Official Employee

Thanks for the info @Golden226 

Here's a link to how "Bridge mode" is set up with instructions, it might be a good place to start and confirm that was configured corrcectly, as you'd ideally only want your Google Mesh and not your xFi gateway to broadcast .

I believe you've got the right settings for your Google WiFi, you should only see/have one broadcasting e.g. "Golden226's Home WiFi" showing up. I'm not sure where the other network name is getting configured, it sounds like it may either be from the rented modem/gateway or on the Google WiFi as a guest wifi. There's no harm in removing it, if it does impact your service you can either message me directly or start a chat with the Google WiFi support folks.

Hope that helps, cheers.

@Golden226 wrote:

Is your modem a Comcast-rented modem or your own? Rented

If it's a Comcast-rented one, was it put in Bridge Mode to support the Google Wifi Mesh? Not sure. I see no "Bridge Mode" setting. The router shows up as a "Gateway" if that means anything. 

What are the SSID's types that were set up? (e.g. the one you usually use vs this new one)? Not sure. Sorry, I am not that proficient. 

If it's your own Google Mesh, you should be able to use the Google WiFi App to configure it however you'd like. So I'm trying to understand if he split frequencies (2.4 vs 5GHz) for certain devices. The Google Mesh has both 2.4 and 5GHz bands. There is a disabled setting for the new network to add an identifier for both bands so only one shows up when I search for wifi networks. 

As I said, I can't think of why this is needed. Thank you for your quick response and help. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee on the Identity Product Team and the Serviceability team at HQ.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!