Community Forum

2 Band Wi Fi signal

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

2 Band Wi Fi signal

I am receiving my 5 GHZ signal, but NOT receiving my 2.4 GHz signal. Has never been a problem before now.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: 2 Band Wi Fi signal

Hi @fmcllc,

Looking at your account, it seems like you own your own modem, the TG862G. I'd probably recommend doing a hard reset on it and re-configuring it. 

It's pretty old and it may be worth considering upgrading. Seeing as how your service includes Voice, you can look into the following models listed on https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/

Two options listed there include:

1. Netgear CM1150V
  2. ARRIS SURFboard T25

There are others but they are also dated. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee on the Identity Product Team and the Serviceability team at HQ.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Expert

How does one own a TG862 ??? That's a Comcast supplied only device. It's not a retail device ..... How did it ever get provisioned for service ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I believe it is a Retail product. Bought it at Best Buy so I could own it and not pay the monthly charge to Comcast. Its probably 2-3 years old. Tried rebooting it by disconnecting the power supply but no help. Maybe I just need a new modem.

Highlighted
Expert

AFAIK, the TG862 is a rental only device. They are not supposed to be able to provision them for service as they are typically listed in their database as being unreturned / stolen.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Interesting. I will probably replace it.

Thanks for the info.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@EG  Good question, sounds legit based on comments below. Anyhow the device is old regardless and the replacement is the right path. @fmcllc if you're keeping Voice services just make sure you purchase a modem that supports it. 

Cheers!

I am an Official Comcast Employee on the Identity Product Team and the Serviceability team at HQ.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Expert

I always advise posers to never buy used modems on sites like e-Bay or Craigs List for the reason I stated earlier. 

Example;

FWIW, one should be careful if buying used modems on sites like eBay. Many times they wind up being listed in Comcast's database as having been stolen / unreturned and they won't provision them for service. To be safe, buy only brand new modems in their original packaging from reputable retailers.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@EG wrote: AFAIK, the TG862 is a rental only device. ...

It was, once upon a time. But a few years ago the TG862G and TG862R both got transmogrified from rental-only status to available-for-purchase-at-retail status. Both are listed at https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/.

Highlighted
Expert

Thanks for the info Bruce. The possible unreturned / stolen situations still apply.