BnL1's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, April 8th, 2020 10:00 AM

Closed

2.4 GHz Connection switches to Hidden Network temporarily and loses connection

I am having my Internet connection switch to Hidden Network (2.4 GHz) on its own, but the 5 GHz connection seems to remain fine.  Eventually, the problem corrects itself, or seems to fix itself when I reboot the modem/ router as well and is no longer hidden/ unable to connect.  I have a Motorola MB7220 Modem, and an Archer C7 Router.  Looking at the Event log for the Modem, I see multiple SYCH events- any idea what I need to troubleshoot?  The 5G connection isn't strong throughout the house, so prefer to use the 2.4GHz, but as stated, that tends to be the connection that has the problem.  When we got the new modem, I thought that would fix our connection speed/ issues, and for a time it seemed it did.

@Xfinity Internet

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

@BnL1 wrote:

I am having my Internet connection switch to Hidden Network (2.4 GHz) on its own, but the 5 GHz connection seems to remain fine.  Eventually, the problem corrects itself, or seems to fix itself when I reboot the modem/ router as well and is no longer hidden/ unable to connect.  I have a Motorola MB7220 Modem, and an Archer C7 Router.  Looking at the Event log for the Modem, I see multiple SYCH events- any idea what I need to troubleshoot?  The 5G connection isn't strong throughout the house, so prefer to use the 2.4GHz, but as stated, that tends to be the connection that has the problem.  When we got the new modem, I thought that would fix our connection speed/ issues, and for a time it seemed it did.

@Xfinity Internet

The Event Log on your gateway doesn't have anything to do with the connectivity of your WiFI - those are two different things. Assuming your internet works fine when the WiFi works (or if it's an etherner connection), my questions are:

What exactly is this "Hidden Network" you're referring to? Did you ever set one up?

Since you're using a third party router (TP Link Archer C7, which I may add is a very good one), my first thought would be to reset it to factory defaults, update the firmware, and set up your wireless network again. I realize this is a royal pain but this might be the easiest way to just nip the issue in the bud. 

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I never set up a hidden network, but whenever I am on my laptop, and I lose connection, my 2.4 GHz connection isn't available, but my laptop recognizes there is a "Hidden Network" that I only see appear when I lose the connection- I'm not far from the router, so strength should be good- and the signal strength seems to match what I would expect.  I'll look into the software update for the Archer C7 and reset it- thank you for the reply.  If you have any additional thoughts, please let me know.  TY!

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@darkangelic wrote:

What exactly is this "Hidden Network" you're referring to? Did you ever set one up?

FWIW, the "hidden" network is likely to be the additional WiFi broadcast / SSID that the Comcast gateways use for interfacing with the home security systems. It's automatically there.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Mine randomly does the same thing. Ive tried to reset it to factory settings but it keeps doing it. I thought it was my security system that was close to it causing it but that wasn't it. I think it's something on their end.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

3 years ago

@Frogpeople 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. 9 month old dead now being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here