R2841's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, March 15th, 2020 10:00 AM

Closed

xFi Advanced Security and Honeywell Water Leak Detectors

For many years I have had several Honeywell Water Leak Detectors as part of my home network.  These leak detectors connect directly with my home network and not through a gateway.  They wake up every 24-hours to report temperature and humidity to the Honeywell server, which is then displayed on a phone app.  They have worked very well for me, and precluded some water damage events in my home

I recently enabled the xFi Advanced Security feature.  Yesterday all eight of my Honeywell devices went offline. No amount of resetting of these detectors could get them to re-join my home network

I also was notified by the xFi app that a threat was detected in that an outside source with a USA ip address was trying to connect with a device on my network called "Generic Brand Vendor Ampak".  It also stated the threat had been mitigated - how I don't know.  After some google digging, I discovered "Generic Brand Vendor Ampak"  is the name resolved when you enter any Honeywell Water Leak Detector MAC address into an online MAC address finder.  Apparently the xFi Advanced Security feature did not appreciate the communication from the Honeywell server to these leak detectors.

I must say the xFi Advanced Security does not do this everytime, as these detectors talk to the Honeywell sever daily and I only occasionally get a "threat" notification.

Today all the Honeywell detectors came back online - why I do not know.  But I have concluded the xFi Advance Security feature has a conflict with these leak detectors, so have disabled this new Xfinity feature for now.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Yep. It's buggy. And there currently is no way for an end-user to be able to whitelist anything...

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Can confirm, and this is super annoying. I have several cameras, and two game servers.  Especially with the game servers, I need for random people to be able to connect to it whenever. However with the Advanced security I have to manually approve each person, and it's only good for 30 days. Not to mention that they can only direct connect via IP because Comcast is blocking the servers from being visible by the server list. 

Which is especially stupid when I've allowed the ports locally already.

I do truly love some of the features of the advanced firewall, but until I can whitelist these ports, or adjust the filtering, it is completely unusable.

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I am having EXACTLY the SAME PROBLEM !   If anyone knows of a solution - please let us know.  Thanks!

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Disable xFi Advanced Security in the xFi app.  Network > Security > View My Services

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@MaloneyDennis wrote:

I am having EXACTLY the SAME PROBLEM !   If anyone knows of a solution - please let us know.  Thanks!

Just disable the Xfi Advanced Security feature for now as a workaround. It's buggy ! And there is currently no way to whitelist anything;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-xfinity-xfi-advanced-security

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here