Community Forum

XFi Router

Frequent Visitor

XFi Router

I read this in an online article about WiFi routers:
"

• Avoid using routers supplied by ISPs. These routers are typically less secure than those sold by manufacturers to consumers. They often have hard-coded remote support credentials that users can't change and patches for their customized firmware versions lag behind patches for the same flaws released by router manufacturers."

How does this apply to the Xfinity supplied advance units?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: XFi Router

@SF2018 wrote:

I read this in an online article about WiFi routers:
"

• Avoid using routers supplied by ISPs. These routers are typically less secure than those sold by manufacturers to consumers. They often have hard-coded remote support credentials that users can't change and patches for their customized firmware versions lag behind patches for the same flaws released by router manufacturers."

How does this apply to the Xfinity supplied advance units?

I've been using Comcast modems since 1982 with no security issues.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Approved-Xfinity-Modems-and-Gateways/td-p/3109887

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your answer. I would like to get a specific reply to the reasons why the ISP supplied routers are not recommended. Does that apply to the xFi gateways?

Silver Problem Solver

@SF2018 wrote:

Thank you for your answer. I would like to get a specific reply to the reasons why the ISP supplied routers are not recommended. Does that apply to the xFi gateways?

Can you cite a source or two?  I can't answer a general question like that.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor
Silver Problem Solver

@SF2018 wrote:

Here is one:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3093362/how-to-secure-your-router-and-home-network.html

I couldn't find any mention of Comcast or Xfinity.

Frequent Visitor

The quote I started this thread with is from this article. It suggests not using ISP-provided routers...

Silver Problem Solver

@SF2018 wrote:

The quote I started this thread with is from this article. It suggests not using ISP-provided routers...

"Suggests" is not the same as saying "should not".

I have used Comcast modems since 1982 and have never had my network compromised.

Frequent Visitor

Well, I guess we are going in circles. The article states this:  "Avoid using routers supplied by ISPs. These routers are typically less secure than those sold by manufacturers to consumers. They often have hard-coded remote support credentials that users can't change and patches for their customized firmware versions lag behind patches for the same flaws released by router manufacturers."

My question referred to the technical aspects of this statement. I don't doubt the fact that you had good experience with your Comcast modems, so did I.  However, that does not mean that the above statement is untrue...

Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver

@SF2018 wrote:

Well, I guess we are going in circles. The article states this:  "Avoid using routers supplied by ISPs. These routers are typically less secure than those sold by manufacturers to consumers. They often have hard-coded remote support credentials that users can't change and patches for their customized firmware versions lag behind patches for the same flaws released by router manufacturers."

My question referred to the technical aspects of this statement. I don't doubt the fact that you had good experience with your Comcast modems, so did I.  However, that does not mean that the above statement is untrue...

Thank you.

We all have choices - thank goodness.

New Poster

I prefer to supply my own (3rd party: Arris) router-modem to avoid paying Xfinity monthly rental fee.