Community Forum

Re: Consistent Comcast DNS Issues

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Consistent Comcast DNS Issues

I have the same issue. I am even having issues authentication to the comcast site.  DNS needs to be fixed.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Consistent Comcast DNS Issues

Just started having DNS issues on all my devices. Some names are resolved right away and some require multiple page reload in browser. Reset/restart modem/router doesn’t help. Calling Comcast is normally a waste of time. People who answer the phone are typically clueless and blame it on you devices or websites. Did somebody find a way to fix this? Are Comcast people reading this forum? Are they smiling? Laughing? Crying?
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Consistent Comcast DNS Issues

Same here.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Consistent Comcast DNS Issues

We had the 30 minute Comcast DNS outage too. The temporary bypass is to set your PC's DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's DNS). My old router would force all connected devices to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 but I can't figure out how to do this with the Comcast gateway. Does anybody know how to do that?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Consistent Comcast DNS Issues


@LarryR2 wrote:

My old router would force all connected devices to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 but I can't figure out how to do this with the Comcast gateway. Does anybody know how to do that?


You can't. Ther DNS servers are hard-coded in the firmware load.

 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Consistent Comcast DNS Issues

If you bring your own Comcast approved modem/gateway, changing your DNS to "hopefully" overcome Comcast-supplied DNS is pretty easy. I use an Arris gateway and under the "Basic Setup" menu option for the router admin view there is a WAN Connection setting.

 

Change the radio button from "ISP Supplied" DNS to "Use these DNS Servers." For DNS server values use these two octet strings: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Both are public Google DNS servers and I've changed this setting tonight. Hoping it solves the intermittant downtime I'm experiencing like everyone else on this thread.