Community Forum

Is ethernet connection required?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Is ethernet connection required?

Got the xFi Advanced gateway installed 6 days ago, and one computer uses an ethernet connection with other computers connected wirelessly. I may need to replace the hard-wired computer, and I wonder if Internet connection will be maintained in the interim if I unplug the ethernet cable and continue with only the wireless connections from the computers in household.

Thanks for help with this basic question!

Gini

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Is ethernet connection required?

@LaMujer wrote:

Got the xFi Advanced gateway installed 6 days ago, and one computer uses an ethernet connection with other computers connected wirelessly. I may need to replace the hard-wired computer, and I wonder if Internet connection will be maintained in the interim if I unplug the ethernet cable and continue with only the wireless connections from the computers in household.

Thanks for help with this basic question!

Gini

Yes; wireless does not need an ethernet connection; all wireless devices connect using the modem's SSID/password.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the prompt and precise answer!

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@LaMujer wrote: ... I may need to replace the hard-wired computer ...

As stated, it isn't necessary to have an Ethernet device connected, but it's a good idea to have one available for troubleshooting purposes in case of Internet connection problems.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Your comment was welcome and further clarified the matter. Thanks!

Gini

@BruceW wrote:

@LaMujer wrote: ... I may need to replace the hard-wired computer ...

As stated, it isn't necessary to have an Ethernet device connected, but it's a good idea to have one available for troubleshooting purposes in case of Internet connection problems.