Community Forum

How do I reserve an IP address in xfi

New Poster

How do I reserve an IP address in xfi

How do I reserve an IP address for my printer in xfi?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: How do I reserve an IP address in xfi

@DavidDude wrote:
How do I reserve an IP address for my printer in xfi?

I have a Brother printer, and I just press the WPS button on top of my XB6 and have the printer connect to it.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hi @DavidDude, there is no way to set static or reserved IPs in xFi. 

Can I ask why you are trying to do this? Perhaps I could help provide some additional guidance. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I have the same need.  I want to reserve an IP address for specific device on my home network so that when I access it from the Internet (port forwarding) I always have the same address.

New Poster

While for some dumb reason the xfinity routers do not let you create reserved IP addresses (like every other router), as a workaround you can change the DHCP start/end IPs to allow you to manually set IPs outside of that range.

I use the first 10 IPs for this purpose:

• DHCP Start Range: 10.0.0.11
  • DHCP End Range:   10.0.0.253
New Poster

Assigning static IPs is necessary for many 'smart' items to keep them in network.  For example, many smart locks - and most recently experienced broadly (See one example here) will lose connection with their gateway when the gateway (nest connect, smart hub, etc) is dynamically assigned wifi IPs.

A simple way to resolve that connect/reconnect issue is by assigning the gateway a static IP.

Can Comcast tell us why assigning a static IP is not possible? Is this to intentionally make it more difficult to use non Comcast smart devices?