finery's profile

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, January 9th, 2020 9:00 AM

Closed

How can I actually unsubscribe from xFi Advanced Security?

How do I unsubscribe from Advanced Security?

If you are an xFi Advantage customer, Advanced Security is included with your package. If you have subscribed to Advanced Security, you'll need to call 1-800-xfinity to unsubscribe. Note: Once unsubscribed from Advanced Security, the feature will no longer appear in xFi and you will see the option to re-enable Protected Browsing.

https://internet.xfinity.com/more/help/articles/Frequently-Asked-Questions

I called the support number to unsubscribe, and they said Advanced Security isn't associated with my account. It obviously is since I can see it listed here:

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 11.00.29 AM.png

It's already disabled, but I want to unsubscribe so it doesn't even show up and log usage, like the help article above explains. (Side-note: If enabled, there should definitely be an option to disable from the web interface but there is currently not.)

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

2.1K Messages

4 years ago

Yeah. Since it’s now included as part of the base rental of xFi Gateways, it is no longer possible to have it fully removed. This was a very recent change. It can be disabled on the web interface the same way as the app.

More > My Services > xFi Advanced Security Disable > and flip the switch

It shouldn’t turn back on it’s own.

For the site you still can’t reach, I would clear the browser and DNS Cache. If it still happens, I would temporarily change DNS servers to either use Google’s or Comcast’s and flushing DNS Cache again and trying again to see if there is any difference.

If all else fails, attempt a traceroute to the site and post the output.

Expert

• 

2.1K Messages

4 years ago

Can’t see your pic since you’re a new poster.

So xFi Advanced Security is now included in all xFi Gateways and is being rolled out as we speak to all xFi Gateways. So what likely happened is that they took care of it already from your account side so you will no longer be charged for it but it’s free now so it can’t be actually removed.

Do you just want the protected browsing?

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for replying.

No, I want Advanced Security to totally be removed, and I don't want the option to show up at all. The help article I linked (specifically that text  I pasted) says that's possible after calling. I don't need Protected Browsing either since I use a DNS service that blocks malicious sites and more.

Mainly from a privacy perspective. It sounds like Comcast still logs everything, even if Advanced Security is disabled. I also don't want to accidentally enabled it again, since there's no option to disable from the web interface.

(Side-note: I'm actually still having problems loading a certain domain even after Advanced Security was disabled. It's been a couple hours now. Regardless, my previous two points stand).

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

4 years ago

@finery wrote: ... https://internet.xfinity.com/more/help/articles/Frequently-Asked-Questions ...

Yet another unlovable feature of xFi is that those of us who don't have it are blocked from reading any of the internet.xfinity.com pages. I can't even read the FAQ. Non-xFi users are redirected to https://internet.xfinity.com/not-eligible which prompts them to "Upgrade for This Experience" and links to https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/xfinity-xfi-overview/.

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

4 years ago

Finery --

Thanks for taking the time to reach out.  As jweaver0312 mentioned – the xFi Advanced Security feature is now included with your Gateway and is rolling out to customers with compatible Gateways over the next few weeks. 

You can choose to disable the feature from within the xFi app or website --
More > My Services > xFi Advanced Security > Disable

If you choose to disable the feature, Advanced Security will still show within xFi on the Network tab as disabled and you can chose to re-enable it.

You can review our xFi Advanced Security FAQs at the following link -- https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-xfi-faqs

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the reply again.

It for sure was not an option to disable from the website, and I didn't have access to a mobile device, so I had to call to disable it. That was Wednesday-Thursday, so it might be available now. Or it was an account/regional/network thing--not sure. I don't want to flip it to see though, haha.

Yeah, I should've flushed DNS before I included that part, my bad. I thought of it after the fact.

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks. Yeah, I read that... The link I posted should probably be edited or removed if it's out-dated, so it doesn't confuse other users.

Expert

• 

2.1K Messages

4 years ago

@finery wrote:

Thanks for the reply again.

It for sure was not an option to disable from the website, and I didn't have access to a mobile device, so I had to call to disable it. That was Wednesday-Thursday, so it might be available now. Or it was an account/regional/network thing--not sure. I don't want to flip it to see though, haha.

Yeah, I should've flushed DNS before I included that part, my bad. I thought of it after the fact.

Strange, it shouldve been there from the moment it was made available to you.

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 9.40.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 9.40.06 PM.png

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here