DanCon1's profile

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, September 24th, 2019 2:00 PM

Closed

Data Usage

We have experienced a sudden and unexplained 500% increase in our data usage this month. Tech support directed us to the xfi app so we can see which device is burning the data. I cannot find data useage on the app, it only tells the percentage of time used. Can someone tell me how to find the data usage on this app? Or, is it not possible?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Not what I was looking for. I want to know if the xfi app can tell me how much data each of my devices is using. Right now all I see is the percent of time my devices are active.

Frequent Visitor

• 

15 Messages

5 years ago

You can via iOS  Settings -> Cellular -> xFi.  It is unlikely that you will find xFi to be a data hog. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

The same thing happened to me. Normally I use 400-500 GB a month and all of a sudden it spiked to over a terabyte. Nobody could tell me why. I was just advised to change my wifi password and possibly switch out my modem. I was told older modems use more data than newer ones.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Same issue as OP.

Background, I signed up for a 'fast' plan.  There was no mention of a data limit by salesperson.  The estimator estimates I should be at 40%, but im at 90%+ in the first month.  So, where is the tool that allows me to find the device that is using the most data?  It is unreasonable to charge overage fees on something that is not observable.  I will check back in a couple of days, then I guess I will just cancel service if there is no response.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

The xfi app cannot identify data usage by device, or even by network. But the tech support was quick to send me down that dead end road to get rid of me. Using the app only shows the percentage of use. I'm going to call again tomorrow to have them come out and check their equipment at my house and explain to me why many of their customers in my neighborhood are having the same issue. If they expect customers to trust their gig counter, they're going to lose a lot of customers.

Contributor

• 

135 Messages

5 years ago

I experienced an increase this month also.  I'm usually at less then 100gb/month...this month I'm almost at 500gb...  No explaination available...

Annotation 2019-09-30 124624.jpg

Contributor

• 

135 Messages

5 years ago

I just remembered that we had one of the 'wifi' satelite boxes installed (it replaced a cable connected box) i the bedroom. (Xi6-A?)

Is this what made my data useage jump so much?  I thought TV viewing through the boxes (not streaming) did not count towards the data cap.

Does anyone know ?

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

There was a problem with data usage counts in September and Comcast is aware of this. The Xfi only tells the percentage of date used per device - not how many G used by device. They told me the to use the Xfi app too when asked what device was using all of the data I was being charged for. They are supposedly going back and fixing their mistake but I have yet to see it on my account. We went from using 70G a month to using 1250G and we were out of town the last 10 days of September! I checked and nothing was going through our modem but the data was going up hourly at an alarming rate. They should have to give us detailed usage reports every month on our data usage.

Contributor

• 

135 Messages

5 years ago

Well, well, well...lookie here..

"Comcast's data-usage meter gave thousands of customers inaccurate readings for two months because of a software bug, causing the broadband provider to incorrectly charge about 2,000 users for exceeding their monthly data caps."

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

My September data says the same thing - unavailable. It still shows I have used one of my free overage months which is not right.

Contributor

• 

135 Messages

5 years ago

And now there are no statistics for August or September.   My data usage for October is already over 50% of what I normally use...12 days into the month..

August
08/01/2019 - 08/31/2019
Currently not available Currently not available
September
09/01/2019 - 09/30/2019
Currently not available Currently not available

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

One way to find out, although cummbersome and very time consuming, is to pause all your devices and then turn only one on and monitor it. Then the next , and next, each day until you can isolate the particular data usage of each device.

FYI, if you are using a streaming device make sure you back totally out of that app. Just turning off your TV does NOT necessarially turn off that app. In-other-words, that app is still still active and using data!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here