hawk999's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Monday, December 30th, 2019 6:00 AM

Closed

Comcast streaming limited to home network?

I used to be able to stream live TV from my account at any network location.  Now I get a message says I have to be on my home network.  Why is this new limitation?  The pop up says it is due to licensing, however, it appeares to be a way to sell streaming for $20 a month.  This a major reduction in service, and a significant cost increase to get streaming back.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@hawk999 wrote:

I used to be able to stream live TV from my account at any network location.  Now I get a message says I have to be on my home network.  Why is this new limitation?  The pop up says it is due to licensing, however, it appeares to be a way to sell streaming for $20 a month.  This a major reduction in service, and a significant cost increase to get streaming back.

hi, do you have x1 interent and cable TV service with a set top box in your home that is connected and working?

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

I have the comcast bundle with internet, phone and cable.  This is the result of a policy change from Comcast.  I have always been able to stream my cable subscription when traveling.  Nothing has changed in my account, or hardware.  However, Comcast now limits streaming your cable subscription to your home network.  I don't know why this changed, but suspect it was so they could start charging for streaming, even though I am a long time cable subscriber. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

The only thing that is limited to the home is Roku use. Also, Stream isn’t available outside the U.S. Can you provide a screenshot of what you see when you actually try to use the service?

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Here are the screen shots when trying to view CBS while on any network except my home network.  It  was the same on all the major chanels, not just CBS.  The only channel I found to work was Motortrend.  Notice that Watch is greyed out and if you click on Why, you get the second screen shot.   This sample is while on an open Xfinitywifi hot spot, but it was the same at my son's house on his secure network.stream1.JPGstream2.JPG

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

It’s possible some local channels in your area aren’t licensed for out of home streaming. It could also be account related since you did make account changes.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

No, this is a Comcast change.  My account works fine on my network and all things (email, voice, etc) except streaming work on ohter networks.  On the screen shot you will see that there is a box under the channel number that says In Home.  If you are on your home network, Watch will be active and  you can stream the channel.  However, if not on  your home network, Watch is not active and you get the message to connect to your home network.  If you aren't seeing this, then perhaps this is a change only in some areas, or being rolled out by area.

I have have the standard Cisco cable modem, not the X1, but I don't see why that would make a difference in licensing.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Read the OP’s post again these are messages when not on his home network. The messages are pretty clear

“Here are the screen shots when trying to view CBS while on any network except my home network”

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

4 years ago

@CCAndrew wrote: It’s possible some local channels in your area aren’t licensed for out of home streaming.

If that's the case, and if the poster is already on their home Internet, Comcast really needs to come up with a better message than "Connect to in-home WiFi to watch".

Edit: N/M

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

I found the comcast page that lists which channels are able to be streamed when not on your home network.  It turns out that in most markets, the major networks including CBS, ABC, Fox, and PBS are no longer able to be streamed  except on your home network.  There are a few markets where they have a relationship with a specific network affiliate, but these are few.  Of course NBC is allowed since it is owned by Comcast.  I don't know when this changed, this limitation was not there in the past.  It really limits the value of Comcast's streaming.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

4 years ago

@hawk999 wrote: I found the comcast page that lists which channels are able to be streamed when not on your home network. ...

For reference: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/online-tv-through-partner-sites

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/tv-go-live-streaming-networks

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/live-stream-local-broadcast-affiliates-out-of-home

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.4K Messages

4 years ago

Hello, hawk999! 

Thanks for reaching out to us with your concerns about networks available in-home only. 
I'm glad to see that our community has provided you with some really great feedback and support so far. 
Networks limited to in-home viewing only are not a new restriction and are based on the contracts and agreements we have with those various networks. 
When outside of your home network, you do have the option to filter your results to out-of-home availability by opening your filter options and selecting "Available Out of Home" or TV GO. 

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions/concerns please feel free to ask, I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can. 🙂

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

The concept of limiting streaming on out of home networks may not be new.  However, the exclusion of all major networks except NBC is new in the last year in my area.  This is a limitation that crreeps in unannounced, like some of the many fee increases (e.g. modem rental went from $11 to $13 to $14).

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.4K Messages

4 years ago

We often have to adjust our pricing and contracts with various networks in order to stay competitive and continue to provide our customers with the best service possible at the best price. However, I definitely understand how that could be frustrating. We appreciate your feedback regardless, and will be sure to forward it to be taken into consideration for the future. If you have any other questions/concerns or need help in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out at any time! We are always here to help. 🙂

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

You should still be able to record shows and when they are completed, stream them from the dvr from anywhere.    Not great for news or sports, but who watches anything else live?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Hawk,

I believe this is less of a Comcast move and more of a play by CBS and other content providing networks, who want you to sign up and pay for their own streaming app.  They are putting the restrictions on Comcast.  But as you point out, this definitely lessens the value of your Comcast subscription and is not right.  How many times are you expected to pay for the same channel and content?  

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here