Community Forum

Can I disconnect my TV and still stream on my desktop computer?

allenport
Contributor

Can I disconnect my TV and still stream on my desktop computer?

I'm a very untechnical person, so my apology for this basic question.

 

I have xfinity TV and Internet.   I never watch the TV in the room where the TV is connected and I would like to remove the TV..

I currently watch all TV by streaming on my big MAC desktop.

If I continue to pay for TV service, can I stream on the computer without having a TV?

Rustyben
Expert

Re: Can I disconnect my TV and still stream on my desktop computer?


@allenport wrote:

I'm a very untechnical person, so my apology for this basic question.

 

I have xfinity TV and Internet.   I never watch the TV in the room where the TV is connected and I would like to remove the TV..

I currently watch all TV by streaming on my big MAC desktop.

If I continue to pay for TV service, can I stream on the computer without having a TV?


the first set top box in many plans does not have a charge. by having at least one set top box you can have 5 streams at the same time maximum of 3 outside the home. with no set top box you have only 2 streams maximum.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
allenport
Contributor

Re: Can I disconnect my TV and still stream on my desktop computer?

What is a "set top box"?   Are you talking about a cable box?   I want to get rid of all the wires and the cable box, but pay for whatever service that allows me to stream TV on the desktop computer.   Cost isn't the issue.   I just want rid of the cable box and TV.

Rustyben
Expert

Re: Can I disconnect my TV and still stream on my desktop computer?


@allenport wrote:

What is a "set top box"?   Are you talking about a cable box?   I want to get rid of all the wires and the cable box, but pay for whatever service that allows me to stream TV on the desktop computer.   Cost isn't the issue.   I just want rid of the cable box and TV.


yes. you can do that as above, but may have zero savings and lose 3 of the 5 streams you can use with the set top box installed and working in the home.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
allenport
Contributor

Re: Can I disconnect my TV and still stream on my desktop computer?

What do you mean when you say set box installed?   Just a box setting on the floor and not hooked up to a TV?

Rustyben
Expert

Re: Can I disconnect my TV and still stream on my desktop computer?


@allenport wrote:

What do you mean when you say set box installed?   Just a box setting on the floor and not hooked up to a TV?


installed means attached to coax where it can communicate with Comcast servers. it does not have to be attached to a TV. there are some less expensive options for Cable TV service where you have no equipment,  maximum 2 streams at same time and 20 hour cloud-only DVR. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
allenport
Contributor

Re: Can I disconnect my TV and still stream on my desktop computer?

Ok, got it.   Thanks.